We here at the State of Connecticut, State Department of Education (SDE) invite applicants to apply for a part-time Assistant Cook position! This opening is located at E.C. Goodwin Technical Education and Career School in New Britain, CT. The Connecticut Technical Education and Career System (CTECS) serves approximately 11,200 full-time high school students. This position will work in the school cafeteria at E.C. Goodwin in a high school environment.
The mission of the CTECS is to provide a world-class, unique, and rigorous learning environment for high school students and adult learners that:
- Ensures both student academic success and career technical education mastery, as well as promotes enthusiasm for lifelong learning.
- Prepares students for post-secondary education, including apprenticeships and immediate productive employment.
- Engages regional, state, national and international employers, and industries in a vibrant collaboration to respond to current, emerging and changing global workforce needs and expectations.
- Pursues and participates in global partnerships that provide CTECS students with international exposure and experience.
- Part-Time Position (25hrs/week)
- Monday - Friday
- 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Discover the Opportunity to:
- Collaborate with highly skilled and experienced cooks.
- Positively impact students’ lives in your daily interactions. The Connecticut Technical Education and Career System currently serves approximately 11,200 full-time high school students.
- Utilize your skills and experience to bring tantalizing food offerings to the students every day.
Note: This is a 10 month position.
This posting may require completion of additional Referral Questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, the SDE is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Interviews will be limited to
candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of
the position(s). The candidate pool resulting from this posting may be used to
fill Assistant Cook vacancies that occur at the Connecticut Technical Education and Career Systemin, the
next twelve (12) months. Candidates who are offered and accept a position with
the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public
Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics. Please ensure that your application is complete, you will not be able to make revisions once you submit your application into the JobAps system.
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Derrick Seldon, II at email@example.com and reference recruitment number 201228-2220TE-001.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
This class is accountable for performing a full range of basic tasks in the preparation and cooking of food.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs a variety of basic tasks in preparing soups, salads, meats, vegetables, desserts, beverages, nourishments, etc.; cleans, washes, polishes pots, pans, dishes, silverware, kitchen equipment, floors, walls, etc.; operates kitchen machines and equipment; may participate in serving food and packing food for delivery; may receive training in the preparation of food on a large scale; may prepare food in the absence of the cook; assists with the receiving and storage of food; may assist in the preparation of production records; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some knowledge of simple food preparation; some knowledge of liquid and dry weights and measures; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to follow instructions and learn routines; some mathematical ability.
Any experience and training which would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
Preference will be given to those who have the following:
- At least two (2) years of food service experience in a school.
- Knowledge of institutional food service equipment use and proper bulk and individual plate cooking techniques are required.
- ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification Examination Certificate.
- Experience in cashiering and in the use of a computerized point-of-sale system.
Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
Incumbents must be free from communicable diseases.
A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to risk of injury from equipment and utensils used in the kitchen and from patients/clients.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.