The State of Connecticut is seeking a highly motivated and dedicated Physician Assistant to join our team with the Department of Correction (DOC).
We seek for top-tier medical professionals to deliver support for our Health Services Unit. In this role, you will be an on-site prescriber assisting our inmate population. You will work with a hardworking multidisciplinary team to deliver the highest level of care across a diverse population in our rare environment. You will have opportunities to care for a wide range of people and health concerns and gain invaluable experience while working highly dynamic work environment.
This position schedule is first shift, Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:00pm. and located at the York Correctional Facility in East Lyme, CT.
The clinical and administrative demands of a facility requires regular monitoring of individuals in restrictive settings, including Administrative Segregation, Special Circumstances, and Security Risk Groups.
The Department of Correction shall strive to be a global leader in progressive correctional practices and partnered re-entry initiatives to support responsive evidence-based practices aligned to law-abiding and accountable behaviors. Safety and security shall be a priority component of this responsibility as it pertains to staff, victims, citizens and offenders.
We can offer you:
- A Hazardous Duty pension plan (State Employees Retirement System Tier IV)
- Generous time off (personal, sick and vacation)
- Excellent health and wellness benefits along with additional supplemental benefits
- An ambitious yet rewarding experience
Including workplace benefits, the State of Connecticut is proud to support work/life balance and embrace both personal and professional growth opportunities.
Learn more from members of our DOC healthcare team:
This position is open to the public and non-examined.
Complete a Master Application:
- Please ensure that your application is complete and you have included your Resume in the 'Resume Tab' of your application as you will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application into the JobAps system.
- During the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation supporting their qualification(s). These documents may include: performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc. at the discretion of the agency.
- All communications regarding your application will be sent via email.
- Please note, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies.
Should you have any questions about the role, please contact Samantha Wasef, Leadership Associate – Talent Solutions.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state health care facility, correctional facility or community based health care program this class is accountable for exercising autonomy as determined by their supervising physician in the provision of general health care services and treatment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Provides a broad range of diagnostic, therapeutic and preventive health care services including initial assessment and ongoing medical care; works with considerable independence as a member of an interdisciplinary health care team, taking medical histories, examining and treating individuals or offenders, ordering and interpreting laboratory tests and x rays, formulating diagnoses and treatment plan and prescribing medications and monitoring responses to medications and adjusting accordingly; documents and records progress notes and notifies attending physician of significant problems; makes medical rounds to observe and document pertinent progress of hospitalized individuals or offenders; orders referrals to specialists as necessary; responds to emergency situations; counsels and instructs individuals or offenders in preventive care and health issues such as effects of nutrition, exercise and prescribed treatments; performs minor surgical procedures such as suturing, splintering and casting; orders medical devices as necessary; attends inservice training programs on various health care services and treatment in conformance with mandated licensure requirements; provides education and/or instruction to various health care staff members; educates individuals or offenders and guardians regarding disease process; communicates to agency health care staff and community providers change in individuals or offender well-being, treatment plan, medication side effects and appropriateness of daily activities; may serve on hospital committees; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply medical principles, techniques and standards to coordinate the care of individuals or offenders suffering from chronic illness, intellectual and/or physical disabilities; knowledge of relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; knowledge of principles and practices of general medicine for a diverse individuals or inmate population; knowledge of clinical diagnostic and treatment protocols and procedures; knowledge of prescriptive practices, protocols and procedures; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; clinical assessment and evaluation skills; ability to examine, diagnose, assess and treat individuals; ability to interpret diagnostic tests; ability to prescribe appropriate medications; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain licensure as a Physician Assistant issued by the Connecticut State Department of Public Health in accordance with the applicable Connecticut General Statutes.
Preference will be given to those who have experience in a primary care, urgent care or emergency room setting.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain Connecticut Controlled Substance Registration for Practitioners issued by the State of Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection.
2. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain United States Drug Enforcement Administration Registration issued by the United States Federal Government.
3. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain eligibility for participation in federal health care programs as defined in 42 U.S. 1320a-7b(f).
4. Incumbents in this class are required to possess and maintain relevant registration(s) and/or
5. Incumbents in this class must complete 50 hours of Continuing Education Units annually.
6. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
7. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift and restrain individuals or offenders and may have some exposure to infectious and/or communicable diseases and disagreeable conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.