Are you a culinary professional looking for a new part-time substitute opportunity? If so, we invite you to read below & apply today!
- Ensures both student academic success and career technical education mastery, as well as promotes enthusiasm for lifelong learning.
- Prepares students for post-secondary education, including apprenticeships and immediate productive employment.
- Engages regional, state, national and international employers, and industries in a vibrant collaboration to respond to current, emerging and changing global workforce needs and expectations.
- Pursues and participates in global partnerships that provide CTECS students with international exposure and experience.
Work/Life Balance: The hours are as needed when the permanent employee is unavailable to work. Note: This is a 10-month position.
Discover the Opportunity to:
- Collaborate with highly skilled and experienced cooks.
- Positively impact students’ lives in your daily interactions. The Connecticut Technical Education and Career System currently serves approximately 11,200 full-time high school students.
- Utilize your skills and experience to bring tantalizing food offerings to the students every day.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, the SDE is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Please ensure that your application is complete, you will not be able to make revisions once you submit your application into the JobAps system. Should you have questions regarding this recruitment please contact Faith MacDonald at email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
This class is accountable for performing a full range of basic tasks in the preparation and cooking of food.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs a variety of basic tasks in preparing soups, salads, meats, vegetables, desserts, beverages, nourishments, etc.; cleans, washes, polishes pots, pans, dishes, silverware, kitchen equipment, floors, walls, etc.; operates kitchen machines and equipment; may participate in serving food and packing food for delivery; may receive training in the preparation of food on a large scale; may prepare food in the absence of the cook; assists with the receiving and storage of food; may assist in the preparation of production records; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some knowledge of simple food preparation; some knowledge of liquid and dry weights and measures; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to follow instructions and learn routines; some mathematical ability.
Any experience and training which would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
- Two (2) years of school cafeteria food service experience.
- Experience using institutional food service equipment.
- Experience using bulk and individual plate cooking techniques.
- ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification.
- Experience using computerized point of sale system for cashier duties.
Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
Incumbents must be free from communicable diseases.
A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to risk of injury from equipment and utensils used in the kitchen and from patients/clients.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.