The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) invites its qualified agency employees to apply for the position of Fiscal Administrative Manager 1 located in the Division of Capital Services, Federal Billing Unit in the Bureau of Finance and Administration. This position is responsible for managing federal billing and federal project closeout activities for the Department and providing oversight of project costs to ensure that they are properly charged and that all costs are efficiently and fully billed to various federal agencies.
The incumbent will supervise a team that currently consists of (1) Supervising Accountant, (2) Associate Accountants, (4) Accountants, and (1) Fiscal Administrative Officer.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee of the Department of Transportation, who has permanent state status*, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications and Preferred Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
Applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application. Ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps system.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. This posting MAY require completion of additional referral questions (RQ’s) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. Please regularly check your email for notifications. You must reply by the deadline indicated on the notification or you will be automatically disqualified from consideration.
Direct questions pertaining to this recruitment to Raisa Capellan at Raisa.Capellan@ct.gov. Reference #79402.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency, facility or institution this class is accountable for supervising staff engaged in a variety of complex, professional fiscal and administrative functions with a major emphasis on fiscal administration.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Duties of this position include the following:
- Administration of the Department’s billing procedures with Federal Agencies: Highways (FHWA), Transit (FTA), Rail (FRA), Transportation Safety (NHTSA) and Motor Carrier (FMCSA);
- Understand and apply the specific federal requirements and procedures for reimbursement, including working within the separate billing and accounting systems;
- Preparing regular billing and submittals to ensure prompt recovery of federal funds, while minimizing unbilled costs, detecting expense errors;
- Preparing Final Voucher document with supporting materials for project closeout;
- Oversee and update Department policies and procedures related to billing practices;
- Develop and implementing budgetary controls, ensure audit compliance;
- Review ineligible expenses, prepare expense corrections, and
- Participate with various audits, investigations, and reviews.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of public administration with special reference to governmental budget management and governmental accounting; knowledge of principles and procedures of payroll, purchasing, grant administration and contract administration; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to understand and apply relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable ability in preparation and analysis of financial and statistical reports; ability to analyze budgetary and related problems; ability to utilize EDP systems for financial management.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Nine (9) years of experience in a combination of fiscal/administrative functions (e.g., accounting, accounts examining, budget management, grants administration, payroll, purchasing) at least one (1) of which must be an accounting function. Descriptions of these fiscal/administrative functions are attached.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been supervising professional level staff.
Note: For state employees this is the level of Budget Specialist or Fiscal/Administrative Supervisor.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in public administration, business administration, or accounting may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Department of Transportation (CTDOT) Federal Billing process;
- Familiarity with Core-CT, specifically CTDOT Project Costing as it relates to federal billing and the FATE process (Federal Assumption of Total Expenditures) and related accounting structure and procedures;
- Expense records and adjusting transactions
- Familiarity with Grant Monitoring, including audit of payments, review and analysis of budgets;
- Familiarity with Core-CT contracts and payroll expenses.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.