The Office of Policy and Management (OPM) reports directly to the Governor and provides information and analysis that the Governor uses to formulate public policy for the state. OPM also assists state agencies and municipalities in implementing the law and public policy on behalf of the people of Connecticut. OPM prepares the Governor’s budget proposals; implements and monitors the execution of the enacted budget; and oversees the executive branch agencies that report to the Governor.
The State of Connecticut, OPM is recruiting for an Information Technology Analyst 1 (40 Hour). This is an exciting opportunity to work with the latest Microsoft technologies, support a Wi-Fi network, maintain the agency’s network hardware, and provide desktop support. You will be responsible for supporting the agency’s IT infrastructure from the desktop back to the network switches and everything in between. In this position, you will be joining a three (3) member team and will be responsible for hardware support and network management within OPM.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has permanent state status* and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
Please ensure that your application is complete and have included a resume within the "Resume Tab" of your application. Candidates who do not submit the required documents above will not be considered. Questions about these required documents should be directed to the hiring agency's human resources office: email@example.com.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency Information Technology (IT) environment, this class is accountable for performing a range of information technology tasks and application development in an IT environment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Server Management: Centrally manage server infrastructure that will support the agency’s growing IT needs.
- Upgrade older servers to the latest technologies to take full advantage of their management capabilities and efficiencies.
- Develop a system for managing software inventory to be compliant with audit requirements.
- Manage the WiFi network.
- Manage the agency’s backup and restore functionality using Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM).
- Manage the agency’s Storage Area Network (SAN).
- Coordinate outside support services as needed for desktop, server, and peripheral hardware.
Desktop Computer Management:
- Microsoft Office 365 support and other computer related issues.
Active Directory Administration:
- Manage agency users, groups and distribution lists in Active Directory.
- Perform Group Policy administration for the agency.
Manage Agency Printers
Manage Agency Laptops
- Keep up to date with latest patches.
- Ensure laptops are secure.
- Configure laptops to meet OPM security guidelines.
- Assist Business Office with inventory of laptops.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of data control functions; considerable knowledge of IT equipment and diagnostic tools; knowledge of principles and techniques of computer programming; knowledge of programming languages; knowledge of principles of information systems; knowledge of principles and concepts of network environments; knowledge of computer operating systems; knowledge of fundamental principles and theories of business and planning functions; knowledge of principles and techniques of systems analysis, design and development; knowledge of capabilities of computer equipment and technology; considerable technical problem solving skills; considerable logic and analytical skills; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to install and maintain microcomputer hardware, software and network components; ability to prepare and maintain records, logs, reports, documentation, and manuals; ability to write, test and debug computer programs; ability to use programming development tools; ability to identify, analyze and resolve simple business and technical problems.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Five (5) years of experience in information technology (IT) operations support, programming or another IT related support area.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been performing basic
technical support work in such areas as:
help desk functions; installing and maintaining basic computer hardware and
software; basic technical work in data communications, microcomputer support,
production control or programming; performing any closely related basic
technical support function.
NOTE: For State Employees basic technical support work is interpreted at
the level of Information Technology Technician.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in management information systems, computer science or information technology related area may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling six (6) months of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in management information systems, computer science or electrical engineering may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
3. For State Employees one (1) year as an Information Technology Analyst Trainee may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
4. For State Employees two (2) years as an Information Technology Technician may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
The preferred candidate will have experience with the following technologies:
- Virtual Desktops
- Group Policy Administration
- Production desktop support
- Upgrading firmware on network hardware
- Windows Clustering
- Storage Area Networks
- Windows PowerShell
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.