Are you a seasoned leader? Do you have the skill synergies capable of building relationships, leading through change and transformation and effectuating policy outcomes? If so, the State of Connecticut’s Office of Policy and Management (OPM) has an excellent anticipated opportunity for you.
We report directly to the Governor and provide information and analysis that the Governor uses to formulate public policy for the state. We also assist state agencies and municipalities in implementing the law and public policy on behalf of the people of Connecticut. We prepare the Governor’s budget proposals; implement and monitor the execution of the enacted budget; and oversee the executive branch agencies that report to the Governor.
We are seeking a Health and Human Services Undersecretary. This is an exciting anticipated opportunity to serve as one of OPM's lead experts for health and human services, advising the Secretary and working on the Secretary's and Administration's behalf on policy matters. This opportunity includes leading a number of policy and planning teams aimed at improving the delivery of health care, long-term services and supports and human services in the State of Connecticut. This is an unclassified position, appointed by the Secretary of OPM in accordance with the provisions of Section 4-65a(b) of the Connecticut General Statutes. This position is located in Hartford, CT, easily accessible to all major highways.
In this position, you will identify, have expertise in and be a knowledgeable resource on emerging issues and trends impacting Health and Human Services and work towards developing strategic policy proposals to address such issues, work on the development of implementation plans in support of the Governor’s policy initiatives, and serve as a senior advisor to the Secretary of the Office of Policy and Management on health and human services policy matters.
The ideal candidate for this position will be organized, motivated, and possess a strong work ethic, as well as the ability to maintain working relationships with multiple stakeholders and the capacity to multi-task and adapt, and navigate changing circumstances.
Our employees have the option to participate in a variety of competitive benefits including healthcare, retirement, and paid time off.
Please ensure that your application is complete and have included a resume within the "Resume Tab" of your application. Candidates who do not submit the required documents above will not be considered. Questions about these required documents should be directed to the hiring agency's human resources office: email@example.com.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, examples of past research, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Carolyn Kozak at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
Serves as an Undersecretary in the Office of Policy and Management with responsibility for the development and analysis of statewide policy or the direction and supervision of a Division.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Serve as one of the lead experts in OPM on Health and Human Services policy and programmatic matters, coordinating with respective state agencies and making informed recommendations to the Secretary.
- Manage and direct the Health and Human Services Policy and Planning Division.
- Plan and supervise activities to accomplish statutory and other mandates, evaluate staff performance, resolve personnel issues, and prepare and implement division budget.
- Division is responsible for reviewing and approving state agency regulations and state plans, administering grant programs, implementing the CT Partnership for Long Term Care, conducting an annual nursing facility census, and chairing/staffing the Personal Care Attendant Workforce Council and Long-Term Care Planning Committee, including developing the Long-Term Services and Supports Plan.
- Provide information, analysis, and advice to the Secretary regarding recommended policy and programmatic decisions in the areas of health and human services.
- Make policy decisions on behalf of the Secretary and coordinate implementation, including identifying and resolving problems, directing state agency action, developing communication plans and overseeing execution and compliance.
- Direct and provide legislative advocacy.
- Chair and represent interests of administration on boards, cabinets, committees, and councils such as the Connecticut Health Insurance Exchange, the Connecticut Health and Educational Facilities Authority, the Connecticut Housing Finance Authority, the Council on Medical Assistance Program Oversight, the Health Care Cabinet, the Nursing Home Financial Advisory Committee, the Health Improvement Plan Advisory Council and the Governor’s Task Force on Housing and Support for Vulnerable Populations.
The preferred candidate will have:
- A background in health and human services policy;
- Knowledge of Medicaid;
- Knowledge of the nursing home industry and policy matters;
- Knowledge of State of Connecticut agency operations;
- Knowledge of nonprofit providers of community services;
- Project management skills;
- Experience leading teams; and
- Experience advocating policy positions with a legislative body.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.