The Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) which oversees the Connecticut Technical Education and Career System (CTECS) is recruiting for a hardworking, motivated and organized Processing Technician to perform complex duties as related to the CTECS teacher recruitment process.
Key responsibilities of the position include:
- Advising applicants about the application process for teaching;
- Providing applicants with information and direction to the resources for information regarding the teacher certification process;
- Preparing job announcements for current positions;
- Advising applicants of current job openings;
- Posting job openings on various websites;
- Advising potential teacher substitutes on the substitute requirements and fingerprinting process to substitute in CTECS;
- Following up with the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (DESPP) as needed regarding fingerprinting problems; and
- Keeping CTECS staff apprised of changes in law or fingerprinting procedures.
This position is located at the State of Connecticut, CTECS Central Office, at 39 Woodland Street, Hartford, CT. This is a full-time 40-hour position that operates Monday-Friday.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has permanent state status* and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
Applicants invited to interview may be required to submit additional documentation, which supports their qualifications for this position. These documents may include: performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc. at the discretion of the hiring agency. However, there are no attachments required at the time of application.
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, the Bureau of Human Resources is unable to provide confirmation of receipt and/or the status of applications during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. For all other inquiries, please contact Kim Barberi at email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing the most complex tasks in carrying out and maintaining a complex clerical processing service having a statewide impact. Services which have a statewide impact are defined as services which directly reach and assist members of the general public.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs the most complex duties related to an agency’s clerical processing functions; examines incoming materials for accuracy, completeness and conformance to state statutes and regulations; makes corrections and/or additions; devises follow up procedures to efficiently and effectively carry out activities; initiates and maintains communications with a wide variety of resources to verify information and complete transactions including other state employees, offices and outside officials such as attorneys, judicial and social welfare officials or representatives; interprets and applies state statutes and regulations relating to the particular processing service; makes decisions as to case status, transaction permissibility or admissibility; responds to internal and external inquiries for information and assistance; sets up and maintains office procedures, filing and indexing systems and forms for office use and to meet recurring needs; maintains calendars of due dates and initiates recurring work or special clerical projects accordingly; maintains records and logs; prepares status or statistical reports related to processing function; assists in maintaining general files in support of processing function; initiates correspondence in carrying out duties; types correspondence, forms, file documentation, etc. in support of processing function; may process fees and maintain financial records; may lead lower level clerical employees assisting in carrying out processing responsibilities; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of office systems and procedures; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to compose effective correspondence and forms; ability to read, comprehend and apply laws, regulations, and procedural guidelines; ability to organize and coordinate workflow; ability to articulate ideas and information effectively; ability to perform research assignments; ability to devise and maintain record keeping and filing systems; ability to examine documents for accuracy and completeness; ability to operate office equipment including personal computers, computer terminals and other electronic equipment; ability to operate office suite software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Three (3) years' clerical work experience.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have involved a full range of clerical duties as an Office Assistant, Interpreter Clerk or its equivalent.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of two (2) years.
Preference will be given to applicants with the following experience and training:
- Experience processing applications for employment or other credentialed status for compliance with relevant statutes, regulations, policies, and procedures;
- Experience responding to applicant inquiries on application requirements and status;
- Experience providing information on required materials and advising on corrective action regarding incorrect or missing application materials;
- Experience providing verbal or written guidance to applicants/clients regarding pre-employment screening, background checks and/or fingerprinting process; and
- Experience using Microsoft Office/365 including Outlook, Teams, Word, in a business or academic setting.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.