The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) invites its qualified agency employees to apply for the position of Transportation Maintainer 3 (Over-the-Fence Mower). This position is a 37.5 hour position located in the Vernon Maintenance Facility. The hours of work are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. The duties of the position include, but are not limited to, performing over-the-fence mowing operations and equipment maintenance.
Eligible candidates will be required to participate in a skill evaluation practicum through the Department. Applicants must hold a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) (Class A or B), with the "tank endorsement" and valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC), and meet the "Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities," listed below in order to be eligible to apply. Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed; mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30. Various storm events will require employees to stay at work for the duration of the storm; which at times could be up to period of several days, to include holidays and weekends.
Incumbents in this class will be required to have a 20-mile residency from the job location. Applicants invited to interview will be required to produce a copy of their current valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B, reflecting the "tank endorsement," and valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC) at time of interview, or they will be immediately disqualified. Candidates will be required to bring a copy of their Master Application and their last two service ratings.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening and specify your qualifications on your application. Applicants must select all locations (listed above) in which they wish to be considered for, on their application. Failure to indicate a location listed above will result in the applicant not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
The Agency will conduct a practicum for the Trans. Maintainer 3 (Over-the-Fence Mower Operator), to evaluate and determine whether or not applicant(s) have the skills and qualifications to perform the duties of this position. Practicums shall be conducted pursuant to the Department of Transportation Administrative Guidelines for Conducting Practicums and will be part of the interview process. Prior to being eligible for interview applicants must have harness and fall protection training, a respirator physical, a current respirator fit test and be in compliance with the Department's Respirator Policy. Applicants must provide their valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) number, Class, expiration date and issuing State, with tank endorsement; Medical Examiner’s Card (MEC) and expiration; and any other job-relevant licenses or certifications, in the “Licenses and Professional Certifications” section of their application, or they will not be considered.
Ensure your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps system. Applicants who submit and subsequently withdraw their application will not be able to resubmit for the same posting.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to answer additional questions and/or submit additional documentation, which supports their qualifications for this position. These documents may include; cover letters, college transcripts, verification of degree completion, proof of licensure, performance appraisals, employment/supervisor references, etc.
The candidate pool resulting from this posting may be used to fill Transportation Maintainer 3 (Over-the-Fence Mower Operator) vacancies that occur in the Vernon Maintenance facility in the next twelve (12) months. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics
. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Diane Tyc at email@example.com
and reference the Recruitment Number.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for performing a variety of skilled tasks at less than the journeyman level in the construction, maintenance and repair of state roadsides, roadways, bridges, airports and other departmental facilities; operates and maintains the more complex mechanical equipment; works as a skilled mechanic at less than the journeyman level in the repair of mechanical equipment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
EXAMPLES of duties
The following is a listing of examples of trucks, equipment, tasks or related duties, the operating, maintaining or performing of which are considered to be the responsibilities and duties of positions in this class:
- Line marking machine (10 wheel, barrel type)
- Concrete saws
- Core drills
- 12-22 foot flail mower (tractor)
- Four wheel drive airport snow fighter
- Front end loaders - Hand operated pavement marking machine
- Mechanical catch basin cleaning
- Power Driven Rollers
- Power pickup sweepers
- Shotcrete, gunite machines
- Tilt Bed Trailers
- Post Pounder (assistant)
- Vactor (assistant)
- Track-mounted skid steer with various attachments including but not limited to: standard bucket, grapple bucket, mower, snow blower, sweeper, dozer blade
- Drainage pipe setting
- Driver of wing truck with plows attached during snow and ice truck operations
- Performing skilled tasks in one or more of the following areas or trades: construction, maintenance, mechanical repair, electrical, carpentry, masonry, welding, automotive and heavy equipment mechanical repair, plumbing and painting
- Test boring
- Skilled tree climber
- Inspector of VIP projects
- District Office Radio Operator (backup)
- Service patrol - Sign erector (general)
- Pothole patcher operator
- May supervise a Materials Management Stockroom - In addition to other duties, may assist a Transportation Maintenance Manager in preparing and checking reports
- Wildlife hazard control - Radio monitoring and communication - Escort vendors, contractors, etc. in secure areas (State owned airports only)
In addition to other duties incumbents in this class may be required to receive training in, stand by for and respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations at State-owned airports; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of construction, maintenance and repair techniques of roadsides, roadways, bridges or airports; knowledge of processes and materials used in construction and maintenance trades; oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to use and make ordinary repairs to more complex mechanical equipment; ability to operate equipment as listed on attached Addendum; ability to keep shop records and prepare reports; ability to use, set up and maintain ordinary bench and other shop machine tools and equipment; ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in the construction, maintenance and repair of roadsides, roadways, bridges or airports, in work involving the operation and care of mechanical equipment, or in work in one of the recognized maintenance trades.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of the subject requirements in one of the maintenance trades may be substituted for the General Experience.
• Candidates must demonstrate their experience, skills and abilities in operating and maintaining the Department's Over-the-Fence mowers on their Master Application prior to being eligible for interview and the skill evaluation practicum.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbent in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform theduties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.