Welcome to the Department of Motor Vehicles. How may we help you today?
The State of Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) mission is to promote public safety and regulate drivers, their motor vehicles and certain vehicle-related businesses, through the delivery of exceptional customer service to internal and external customers. The CT DMV is searching for employees who are empowered to make a difference and to provide exceptional service to our customers.
The Commercial Vehicle Safety Division is currently recruiting for 2 Motor Vehicle Operator License Agents within the Driver Education and Testing Unit located in Wethersfield. The Driver Education and Testing unit is responsible for performing road test evaluations for Class A, B, C and D drivers, overseeing the Commercial Driving Schools and training the school bus Instructors. The DMV is looking for people who are personable, demonstrate good communication skills, have good investigative skills as well as having a willingness to help our customers.
This position is ideal for individuals who desire to work and thrive in an exciting fast pace, high demand, multidimensional environment!
What’s in It for You - Leading Comprehensive Benefit Offerings:
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage;
- Competitive market salary plans;
- Comprehensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings;
- Retirement healthcare offerings;
- Ability to serve the citizens of Connecticut.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position. Questions on this recruitment should be directed to the hiring agency's human resources office: Shabina.Bhura@CT.Gov .
This position will be filled in accordance with reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening.
You must specify your qualifications on your application.
In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before individuals are certified for appointment.
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience most closely meet the preferred requirements of the position.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Motor Vehicles, this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks in the administration of motor vehicle operator licenses and licensing and regulation of commercial and secondary driving school functions.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Conducts a variety of examinations including written, oral, eyesight and road driving skills at departmental offices or other designated locations; scores examinations, notifies applicants of examination results; answers questions about motor vehicle laws, regulations, policies and procedures from applicants and/or other members of the public; maintains records of examination results; prepares reports of activities as necessary; performs safety check of vehicles; notifies vehicle owner of any problems observed; reviews and approves all documents required for those individuals applying for licensure to operate a driving school; inspects driving school facilities for initial approval and on an ongoing basis; inspects driver training vehicles; certifies driving school instructors initially and on an ongoing basis; monitors classroom and behind the wheel training given to students; monitors insurance status of driving schools and reports violations to appropriate agency authority; applies enforcement actions as directed in all areas relating to Motor Vehicle law and/or regulatory violations encountered relevant to driving school operation; may perform vehicle safety inspections; may address driving school classes about topics such as motor vehicle safety, safe driving and motor vehicle laws and regulations; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of parts, equipment and mechanical operation of motor vehicles; knowledge of safe driving and vehicle safety techniques and standards; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to administer and evaluate a variety of examinations; ability to deal effectively with others.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Three (3) years of experience in the field of education, training or other academic instruction, law enforcement or business providing instruction, handling customer complaints and resolving customer relations problems.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in the field of education, law enforcement, communications or a closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of two (2) years.
2. Graduation from an accredited vocational technical school specializing in automotive mechanical repairs may be substituted for one (1) year of the General Experience.
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Experience making decisions involving complex transactions;
- Must possess problem solving skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills;
- Experience communicating with a diverse cliental;
- Experience in confidentiality;
- Experience in reading and interpreting statutes and regulations;
- Experience with face to face contact with the general public;
- Experience delivering exceptional customer service over the telephone;
- Experience in auditing for Investigative purposes;
- Knowledge and experience with computer programs (e.g., Windows, Microsoft office suite);
- Commercial Driver License experience;
- Knowledge of School Bus requirements.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
2. At the time of appointment incumbents must also possess, and during the course of employment maintain, a motor vehicle driving record satisfactory to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.
Incumbents in this class must be in good health and must have and retain sufficient physical strength, stamina, agility, visual and auditory acuity to effectively perform the duties of the class. Considerable physical exertion may be required. Incumbents must maintain physical ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some degree of injury from conducting road tests and moderately disagreeable conditions encountered working outdoors.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.