The State of Connecticut
Department of Transportation (DOT
) invites its qualified agency employees to apply for the position of Transportation Maintenance Planner 2 in the District One Maintenance Planning Office, Rocky Hill. The work schedule is Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., 40 hours per week.
The duties of the position include:
• Bureau oversite of Asset Management Program
• Schedules and reviews Bridge Maintenance and Rehabilitations
• Reviews contracts, proposals and specifications for materials, equipment and contractual services
• Preparation of progress/status reports and purchase order contracts
• Equipment and inventory control/purchasing
• Conducts field reviews of all CTDOT approved guiderail systems
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee of the Department of Transportation, who has permanent state status*, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
Applicants must select the location (listed above) on their application. Failure to indicate a location listed above will result in the applicant not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
Ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps system. Applicants who submit and subsequently withdraw their application will not be able to resubmit for the same posting.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to answer additional questions and/or submit additional documentation which supports their qualifications for this position. These documents may include: cover letters, college transcripts, verification of degree completion, proof of licensure, performance appraisals, employment/supervisor references, etc.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The candidate pool resulting from this posting may be used to fill Transportation Maintenance Planner 2 vacancies that occur in District One Maintenance Planning Unit, Rocky Hill in the next twelve (12) months. Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Diane Tyc at email@example.com
and reference the Recruitment Number.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation, Central Office of Maintenance or a District Maintenance Office this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of professional tasks in the planning of state and federal maintenance and improvement projects.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs professional duties in planning highway maintenance projects; conducts field reviews of proposed projects, determines needs and recommends improvements; prepares plans, specifications and estimates for funding approval requests; prepares capital requirement programs and tolls and concessions work; schedules projects to meet highway and bridge maintenance needs within available funding, manpower and time frame limits; analyzes costs, production, commitments and requirements in order to improve work methods, management techniques and equipment; oversees Maintenance Management System; reviews contracts, proposals and specifications for materials, equipment and contractual services; coordinates review of maintenance agreements; formulates project memoranda; submits work order requests; reviews project changes, prepares modification requests and maintains financial accounts; reviews accuracy of project records and ensures engineering work relative to safety improvements is completed; prepares progress and status reports; prepares purchase order contracts for Vendor in Place work; assists in final field reviews prior to closing out of project; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of highway related maintenance methods, materials and equipment; knowledge of principles and methods of determining maintenance needs and preparing programs; knowledge of basic civil engineering principles and practices; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to read and interpret plans and drawings; ability to understand and apply relevant statutes and policies pertaining to highway maintenance; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Six (6) years of experience coordinating highway maintenance project activities including planning, scheduling, budgeting or other related activities.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in civil engineering or a related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
For State Employees:
2. Experience as a Transportation District Services Agent 2, Transportation General Supervisor (Bridge Maintenance) (Maintenance) (Signs and Markings) or Transportation District Electrical Supervisor may be substituted for the General Experience.
3. One (1) year of experience as a Transportation Maintenance Planner 1, Transportation District Services Agent 1, Transportation Engineer 1 (Construction Engineering) in Highway Maintenance, or Transportation Supervisor (Bridge Maintenance) may be substituted for the General Experience.
4. Two (2) years of experience as a Transportation Landscape Designer 1 may be substituted for the General Experience.
Knowledge and experience with all types of approved CTDOT guiderail systems and attenuators, including MASH.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.