The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) is seeking qualified applicants to apply for the position of Transportation Maintainer 2. The positions are located in the Milford Bridge and Darien Bridge Maintenance Facilities. The hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
These positions are responsible for performing bridge and highway maintenance duties along State bridges and highways.
Candidates must indicate they hold a current and valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with tank endorsement in the "Licenses and Professional Certifications" section of the application, or they will not be considered.
Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed; mandatory winter overtime from November 1st to April 30th. Various storm events will require employees to stay at work for the duration of the storm, which at times could be up to a period of several days to include weekends and holidays.
Incumbents in this class will be required to have a 30-mile residency from the job location.
Applicants invited to interview will be required to supply a copy of their Connecticut Driver's License (CDL), Class A or B, with Tank Endorsement, and valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC) at the time of interview or they will be immediately disqualified. In addition, candidates will be required to bring a copy of their Master Application and a thoroughly completed CT Department of Transportation Commercial Driver Supplement (CT-DOT-CDL-1).
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
Applicants must ensure that their application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps system. Applicants who submit and subsequently withdraw their application will not be able to resubmit for the same posting.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to answer additional questions and/or submit additional documentation which supports their qualifications for this position. These documents may include; cover letters, college transcripts, verification of degree completion, proof of licensure, performance appraisals, employment/supervisor references, etc.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The candidate pool resulting from this posting may be used to fill future vacancies that occur in the Darien Bridge and Milford Bridge Maintenance Facilities in the next twelve (12) months. Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your Jobaps portal account.
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Michele Joyce at Michele.firstname.lastname@example.org
and reference # 94852.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for performing a variety of moderately skilled tasks in the construction, maintenance, and repair of State roadsides, roadways, bridges, airports, and other departmental facilities; operates and maintains complex mechanical equipment; works as a moderately skilled mechanic in garages in the routine repair of mechanical equipment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
The following is a listing of examples of trucks, equipment, tasks or related duties, the operating, maintaining or performing of which are considered to be the responsibilities and duties of positions in this class:
- 3 ton to 9 ton trucks, platform or refuse with or without a winch
- All of the above when using the following attachments: snow plows; duo dumps, truck crash attenuators; trailers and towed equipment except tilt bed trailers
- pickup (to include 2 & 4 wheel drive vehicles) when using: trailers or towed equipment; snowplows or hopper type spreaders
- Bridge truck utilities
- Compressor trucks
- Aerial bucks trucks
- Wreckers with winchy
- Tandem/10 wheel Dump truck
- Mowing equipment Class 12 with or without attachments
- Bituminous curbing machine
- Pothole patcher
- Tractor mowers with single flail
- Wood chipper
- Pavement breakers
- Culvert cleaining machines
- Grass trimmers/brush cutters
- Walk behind snow blowers
- Portable pumping units
- Chain saws
- Portable pumping units
- Chain saws
- Vibratory compaction equipment
- Cement mixers
- Compressor and/or compressor tools
- Wing plows
- Assisting employees of higher grades in more skilled operations
- Heavy custodial maintenance of buildings and grounds
- Finish grading on roadway or roadside projects
- Burning and cutting with acetylene torch
- Survey Monument setting
- Hand seeding
- Helping on refuse collection trucks
- Helping on sanding and plowing
- Relief ferry mate, drawbridge attendant and/or rest area attendant
- Stores section material handling
- Wildlife hazard control
- Radio monitoring and communication
- Escort vendors, contractors, etc. in secure areas (State owned airports only)
In addition to other duties, at State-owned airports may function as a guard/watchman or may be required to receive training in, stand by for and respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of the construction, maintenance, and repair techniques of roadsides, roadways, bridges, or airports; knowledge of the processes and materials used in the construction and maintenance trades; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to use and make routine repairs to complex mechanical equipment; ability to operate equipment as listed on the attached addendum; ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of experience in the construction, maintenance and repair of roadsides, roadways, bridges or airports, in work involving the operation and care of mechanical equipment or work in one of the recognized maintenance trades.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of the subject requirements in one of the maintenance trades may be substituted for the General Experience.
Experience and skill:
- Operation of heavy duty construction related commercial equipment
- Maintenance trades including carpentry and masonry that are utilized in the maintenance of State bridges and highways.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are required.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness in order to perform the duties of the class.
2. A physical examination will be required.
1. Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.