The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) is seeking qualified applicants to fill vacancies for Transportation Maintainer 1 positions that may occur over the next 6 months to 1 year in the following Maintenance Facilities: Darien, Milford, New Canaan, Stratford, Trumbull and Westport.
This position is responsible for performing highway maintenance along State highways and roadways. The hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., 37.5 hours per week.
Candidates must indicate that they hold a current and valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with tank endorsement in the "Licenses and Professional Certificate" section of the application, or they will not be considered.
Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed; mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30. Various storm events will require employees to stay at work for the duration of the storm, which at times could be up to a period of several days including holidays and weekends.
Incumbents in this class will be required to have a 20-mile residency from the job location.
Applicants invited to interview will be required to supply a copy of their Connecticut Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B, with Tank endorsement, valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC), and a thoroughly completed Connecticut Department of Transportation Commercial Driver Supplement (CTDOT-CDL-1), or they will be immediately disqualified. Candidate will be required to bring a copy of their Master Application.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
Ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps system. Applicants who submit and subsequently withdraw their application will not be able to resubmit for the same posting.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to answer additional questions and/or submit additional documentation which supports their qualifications for this position. These documents may include; cover letters, college transcripts, verification of degree completion, proof of licensure, performance appraisals, employment/supervisor references, etc.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process Updates will be available through your Jobaps portal account.
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Michele Joyce at firstname.lastname@example.org and reference # 30054.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for performing a full range of basic tasks in the construction, maintenance and repair of State roadside, roadways, bridges, airports and other departmental facilities; operates and maintains small and less complex mechanical equipment or acts as a helper on larger and more complex equipment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
The following is a listing of examples of trucks, equipment, tasks or related duties, the operating, maintaining or performing of which are considered to be the responsibilities and duties of positions in this class:
- 1/2, 3/4 ton Suburban
- 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton vans (passenger/cargo)
- 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton pickups (2 & 4 wheel drive)
- 2 ton, 3 ton platform stakes
- sedan deliveries
- station wagons
- 3/4, 1 ton trucks, various body styles
- 9 ton dump truck (to be paid at the appropriate level)
- Mowing equipment Class 12 with or without attachments
- Wood chipper
- Pavement breakers
- Grass trimmers/brush cutters
- Walk behind snow blowers
- Portable pumping units
- Chain saws
- Vibratory compaction equipment
- Assisting employees of higher grades in more skilled operation
- Heavy custodial maintenance of buildings and grounds
- Finish grading on roadway or roadside projects
- Gas station attendants
- Hand seeding
- Helping on refuse collection trucks
- Helping on sanding and plowing
- Relief ferry mate, drawbridge attendant and/or rest area attendant
- Stores section material handling
- Wildlife hazard control
- Radio monitoring and communication
- Escort vendors, contractors, etc. in secure areas (State owned airports only)
In addition to other duties, at State-owned airports may function as a guard/watchman or may be required to receive training in, stand by for and respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations; perform
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some knowledge of the physical properties of standard highway or airport construction and maintenance materials; some knowledge of some mechanical principles; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; familiarity with the basic practices of the construction and maintenance trades; ability to use and make minor repairs to small tools and the simpler mechanical equipment; ability to operate equipment listed on the attached addendum; ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions; ability to utilize computer software.
Any experience and training which would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
Experience and skill:
- Operation of heavy duty commercial equipment
- Maintenance trades including carpentry and masonry that are utilized in the maintenance of State highways
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility, and visual and auditory acuity and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination will be required.
1. Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.