Are you a passionate Equal Employment
Opportunity (EEO) Professional? Are you
seeking a position that offers opportunities to educate and implement
procedures to ensure internal and external compliance with federal and state
laws, statutes, regulations and Executive orders? If so, please consider a career with us.
The State of Connecticut, Department of Mental Health and
Addiction Services (DMHAS), seeks a qualified individual for a full-time Equal
Employment Opportunity Manager in the Equal Employment Opportunity Unit within
the Office of the Commissioner (OOC). This position is 40 hours per week,
Monday – Friday, and located in Middletown, CT and Hartford, CT. Statewide
travel is required.
DMHAS, Equal Employment Opportunity Unit is committed to adhering
to the Connecticut statutes to assist DMHAS, in its compliance with
federal, state and other applicable civil rights laws, regulations, and
guidelines. Offering a civil rights compliance perspective, the EEO staff
collaborates with the DMHAS administration in drafting, reviewing and implementing
internal policies, procedures, and practices.
In this role you will have the opportunity to direct staff and
operations of the EEO unit, including:
- Conducting independent, objective and timely investigations
of employee or client initiated discrimination complaints.
- Proactively identifying internal practices, policies, and
procedures that pose a barrier to DMHAS job applicants, employees,
and members of the public serviced by the DMHAS who are members of a protected
- Providing mandated discrimination, harassment, and sexual
harassment prevention training to the DMHAS’s entire workforce (including DMHAS’s
administrators, managers and supervisors).
- Reporting the DMHAS good faith efforts to comply with
the State of Connecticut Affirmative Action Regulations via the writing and
submission of the DMHAS annual Affirmative Action Plan.
- Conducting training and develop applicant flow and goals analysis
justification for DMHAS annual Affirmative Action Plan.
- Contract Compliance.
State of Connecticut employees participate in a competitive benefits
plan that includes healthcare coverage, a retirement plan as well as paid time
Please ensure that your application is complete and you have
included your resume within the "Resume Tab" of your application. You
will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application into the
At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be
required to submit additional documentation which supports their qualification(s)
for this position. These documents may include performance reviews, attendance,
supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc., at the discretion
of the hiring agency. You do not have to attach these documents to your
Questions about this recruitment should be directed to Julie
Barker at Julie.Barker@ct.gov or (860) 262-6745.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for directing and performing activities for an Equal Employment Opportunity program.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Directs staff and operations of the Equal Employment Opportunity unit; coordinates, plans and manages unit activities; formulates program goals and objectives; develops strategic affirmative action programs; develops or assists in development of related policy, legislation and regulations; interprets and administers pertinent laws; evaluates staff; prepares or assists in preparation of budget; maintains contacts with individuals both within and outside of department who might impact on program activities; investigates all complaints of discrimination made against agency and reports findings to appropriate authority; coordinates findings with Attorney General when appropriate; corrects and remedies any discriminatory conduct that occurs; counsels staff on equal employment opportunity matters; prepares materials and conducts training to heighten knowledge of equal employment opportunity laws and affirmative action goals; oversees preparation of affirmative action plans; conducts analysis of data to develop and implement outreach programs; implements procedures to ensure internal and external compliance with federal and state laws, statutes, regulations and Executive Orders; conducts briefing sessions with staff; prepares required reports; may monitor effectiveness of policies and procedures; may assist with or oversee the State of Connecticut Minority & Small Contractor's Set Aside Program and contract compliance; may oversee affirmative action for patient, student, inmate and/or client rights programs; may serve as the agency's ADA coordinator; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply management principles and techniques; considerable knowledge of relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable knowledge of employment practices related to civil rights, equal employment opportunity or affirmative action plans and programs; knowledge of needs and issues of patients, inmates, students and/or clients; knowledge of interviewing and counseling techniques; knowledge of merit system selection process including recruitment, examination and classification; considerable interpersonal skills; knowledge of needs and issues of patients, inmates, students and/or clients; knowledge of interviewing and counseling techniques; considerable oral and written communication skills; ability to develop, analyze and implement affirmative action plans; investigatory ability; ability to compile, analyze and evaluate statistical data; supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Eight (8) years of professional experience in affirmative action, equal opportunity assurance or human resources management.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Three (3) years of the General Experience must have involved primary responsibility for affirmative action and equal opportunity assurance in an employment setting with at least one (1) year at the level of Equal Employment Opportunity Specialist 2.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equaling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in public administration, human resources management, labor relations, or a closely related field or a law degree may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
3. For state employees one (1) year of experience as an Equal Employment Opportunity Specialist 2 may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
Preference will be given to candidates who possess:
- Experience with leading, managing or supervising staff.
- Experience developing Affirmative Action (AA)/Equal Employment
Opportunity (EEO) or Diversity and Inclusion Plans in a lead role.
- Experience analyzing and interpreting technical data to solve
problems and improve processes as they relate to equal employment opportunities
and affirmative action.
- Experience in conducting workplace investigations and making
recommendations in accordance with statutory requirements.
- Experience in serving as the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Experience creating and delivering EEO/AA/Diversity Awareness,
Disability Awareness, Bystander Intervention, or Sexual Harassment Prevention
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Excel spreadsheet development
including managing data, using formulas, exporting of data and ability to pivot
data and develop charts/graphs.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
2. In accordance with Connecticut General Statute, incumbents in this class must complete five (5) hours of training during the first year of service or designation and a minimum of three (3) hours biannually thereafter. This training shall include (1) state and federal discrimination laws and (2) internal discrimination investigation techniques which will be provided by the Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities and the Permanent Commission on the Status of Women.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.