Our mission at the Connecticut Insurance Department (CID) is consumer protection. The Department carries out its mission by enforcing state insurance laws to ensure policyholders are treated fairly, by providing assistance, outreach and education to help consumers make sound choices and by regulating the industry in a fair and consistent manner that fosters market competition for availability of insurance.
The CID, located at 153 Market Street, Hartford, CT is recruiting for an Insurance Certified Supervising Examiner (Mgr) position. We are easily accessible for all commuters, we are conveniently located in the Downtown area of Hartford.
This position is in the Financial Regulation Division/Financial Analysis Unit and is full-time, (40) hours week Monday - Friday. This position may be required to work beyond the normal work schedule and/or attend meetings after normal work hours.
Discover the opportunity to:
- Manage and direct a team of approximately nine (9) insurance examiners in the examination of financial and business records of domestic insurance companies;
- Be responsible for the review of highly technical transactions from analyzing cost sharing agreements, reinsurance and service agreements;
- Provide final review of quarterly and annual desk audits.
State of Connecticut employees participate in competitive benefits plan that includes healthcare coverage, a retirement plan as well as paid time off.
NOTE: Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience most closely meet the preferred requirements of the position.
You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application into the JobAps system. Individuals considered for interview may be required to submit additional documentation supporting their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include performance reviews, attendance, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc., You do not have to attach these documents to your application submission.
This posting MAY require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. Please regularly check your email for notifications. You must reply to the deadline indicated on the notification or you may be disqualified from consideration.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact CID's Human Resources Department at email@example.com, (860) 297-3936.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Insurance Department, Examination Division, this class is accountable for supervising the work of Insurance Examiners engaged in the examination of the financial and business records of domestic insurance companies or supervising the review of the analysis of financial statements of licensed insurance companies including responsibility for certifying the accuracy and completeness of financial audits, by signature, of association examinations.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Schedules, assigns, oversees and reviews the work of examiners investigating the financial condition, operations and market conduct compliance of insurance companies or licensed insurance entities including association examinations; provides staff training and assistance; conducts performance evaluations; determines priorities and plans unit work; establishes and maintains unit procedures; develops or makes recommendations on the development of policies, standards, regulations and laws; acts as liaison with other operating units, agencies and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; discusses with company officials its condition as reflected by the examination and any indication of violation of state laws or regulations; prepares final reports of examinations or financial analysis for submission to the Director or Program Manager; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of relevant agency policies and procedures; considerable knowledge of and ability to apply relevant State and Federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable knowledge of the accounting and auditing principles involved in the examination of insurance companies; considerable knowledge of the organization and business practices of insurance companies; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable ability in planning and directing a large scale examination program; considerable ability to interpret and evaluate financial statements; supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Nine (9) years of experience in one or more of the following areas: regulatory examination of financial condition or market conduct of insurance companies; accounting, auditing, and/or actuarial work in the insurance industry.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been in a lead or consultative capacity in professional work in insurance examining or auditing. For state employees, this will be interpreted at or above the level of Insurance Financial Examiner.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in Accounting, Insurance, Business, Finance, Actuarial Science or Economics may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (l5) semester hours equalling one-half (l/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in Accounting, Insurance, Business, Finance, or Economics may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience
3. Certification in any of the following may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience: Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor.
Preference will be given to candidates who possess the following:
- Experience in handling difficult situations while maintaining a high level of professionalism;
- Experience supervising and providing guidance to staff;
- Experience reviewing, analyzing and applying state statutes and regulations to determine application status or admissibility;
- Knowledge of statutory accounting principles;
- Considerable knowledge of statutory accounting and examination practices;
1. Incumbents must possess at time of appointment and maintain during employment the designation of Certified Financial Examiner (CFE) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.