The State of Connecticut, Department of Mental
Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS), is a health care agency whose mission
is to promote the overall health and wellness of persons with behavioral health
needs through an integrated network of holistic, comprehensive, effective, and
efficient services and supports that foster dignity, respect, and
self-sufficiency in those we serve.
The DMHAS, Connecticut Valley Hospital (CVH) seeks
qualified individuals for Custodian. (Position # CV 27174). This
position is located at Blue Hills Hospital, Hartford, CT. It is
full-time, thirty-seven and one half (37.50) hours per week position. The
work schedule for this position is: Wednesday thru Sunday, 7:00 a.m. to
Blue Hills Hospital is
located at 500 Vine Street, Hartford, CT. It serves Men and Women, 18
years of age or older with moderate to severe levels of alcohol and/or other
This position is categorized as
‘Essential’. Therefore, the incumbent must be available to work during
emergency closures and/or delayed openings, due to inclement weather or other
significant events that effect the campus operations.
In accordance with the Environmental Services
Protocol of Connecticut Valley Hospital, this position will be responsible for
all Custodial tasks throughout a Patient Building.
Duties will require the use Latex Gloves,
(doubling at times), working with Germicidal Solutions, such as Fuzion Bleach
and/or Virex. You will also be required to wear Personal Protective Equipment,
(PPE), such as FDA approved fitted N95 Masks, Safety Goggles, Gowns and Face
Duties to include the following, but not
- Sweeping, mopping, dusting, and stripping and waxing floors.
- Clean offices, bathrooms, hallways, and stairways.
- Terminally clean Units, Patient Rooms, or Restrooms, as directed.
- Prepare cleaning/disinfecting solutions, per manufacturer’s instructions. Some of these chemicals could be hazardous to human health.
- Ensure proper ventilation is adequate if there are no windows.
- Damp dust over bed tables, bedside tables, bed frames, both sides of mattress, pillows and bed controls, telephones, chairs, as well as light switches, lamps, spots on walls and cabinets.
- You will be required to respond to emergency and bio-hazardous clean up requests.
- Collects soiled linen.
- Distribute clean linen throughout the building.
- Collect and dispose of all trash and recycling into the appropriate containers.
- Use proper custodial equipment to polish floors and shampoo carpets.
- On a daily basis, clean all patient areas, patient rooms and isolation rooms, which may be occupied. The incumbent is also responsible for cleaning all non-patient areas throughout the building.
- In coordination with the Administrative Assistant to the Addiction Services Division Medical Director, set up various Conference Rooms for Family Nights and Meetings, which will include setting up tables and chairs so that the room is ready for the Events of the Day. It will also include cleaning the Rooms at the end of the Event.
- Clean windows and vents.
*The entry level compensation rate for
Custodian shall be ten percent (10%) below the minimum compensation listed on
this bulletin for an employee in their Initial Working Test Period. Upon
completion of the Initial Working Test Period, the employee shall advance to
the minimum (Step One) of the salary schedule and be paid accordingly.
NOTE: The salary range listed at the top of this Posting will increase,
effective July 1, 2020, as follows: $37,335 - $46,654.
State of Connecticut employees participate in competitive benefits plan that includes
healthcare coverage, a retirement plan as well as paid time off.
Questions regarding this recruitment should be
directed to Deb Robinson, via Email: Deborah.A.Robinson@ct.gov.
The Certification List generated from this Recruitment may be considered for future Custodial opportunities located at Blue Hills Hospital for a period of one (1) year.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing a full range of basic tasks in the cleaning and maintenance of buildings.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs custodial tasks and maintenance of areas such as dormitories, classrooms, offices, auditoriums, wards, kitchens, dining rooms and lavatories including outdoor areas (i.e. trash around buildings); dusts, mops, sweeps, scrubs, strips, waxes and polishes floors using appropriate equipment such as floor polishers and buffers; washes, dusts and polishes glass including windows, woodwork, walls, furniture and metal equipment; makes beds; checks, marks, stores and issues linens, blankets, and clothing (limited to individual’s work area not to include counting and inspection for a larger area); collects and counts soiled laundry; distributes, empties and sterilizes glassware, wash basins and bedpans; sweeps walks; collects and disposes of trash; reports needs for repairs; performs minor maintenance; runs errands; inspects buildings for damage and reports conditions to supervisor; may change light bulbs and replace fuses; may lubricate or tighten door hinges, drawers, cabinets, etc.; may replace ceiling or floor tiles; may remove snow and ice from stairways and walkways around buildings; may sand and salt stairways and walkways; may move furniture and/or set-up classrooms; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to operate, care for and perform minor maintenance on tools and equipment used in daily work; some ability in simple record keeping.
Any experience and training which would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
The Preferred Candidate will have
custodial experience in a behavioral and/or hospital setting.
Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits, and/or certifications.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties of the class.
2. A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights and may be exposed to risk of injury from equipment and/or individuals.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.