The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) invites qualified applicants to apply for two Transportation Maintainer 3 opportunities, with the target class of Qualified Craft Worker (Auto/Mechanic) in the Willington Repair Facility. This is a 37.5 hour work week, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Upon successful completion of a 6-month initial working test period, incumbents in these positions will be evaluated and may be promoted to the target class of Qualified Craft Worker (Auto/Mechanic) salary grade TC 18.
In order to be eligible to apply, applicants must:
• hold a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) (A or B), with the "tank endorsement," a valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC),
• have automotive/diesel repair knowledge and work experience; please refer to the "Preferred Qualifications" listed below.
• meet a 30-mile residency requirement from the posted job location
• Candidates are also required to submitted a thoroughly completed Connecticut Department of Transportation Commercial Driver Supplement (CTDOT-CDL-1) form.
The purpose of these positions is to repair and maintain the Department's diverse fleet of highway maintenance equipment; performing a variety of repair and maintenance duties directly focused on the truck and equipment diagnostics, to include class 1 through 8 vehicles and heavy construction equipment; to operate and maintain more complex mechanical equipment; work as a skilled mechanic and have experience working with automotive repair software including diagnostic and repair information; have a working knowledge of electrical and hydraulic systems and experience in welding and fabrication.
Various storm events will require employees to stay at work for the duration of the storm; which at times could be up to period of several days, to include holidays and weekends. Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed; to include mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30.
In order to be eligible to apply and be considered for this job opening, candidates must have a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with tank endorsement, meet the Minimum Qualifications and have the Preferred Qualifications listed, and must specify their qualifications on the application.
The candidate pool resulting from this posting may be used to fill Transportation Maintainer 3 vacancies that occur at the Rocky Hill and Willington Repair facility in the next twelve (12) months. Applicants must select all locations
(listed above) in which they wish to be considered for, on their application.
Failure to indicate a location listed above will result in the applicant not
being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
Applicants invited to interview will be required to produce a copy of their current valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B, reflecting the "tank endorsement," and valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC) at time of interview, or they will be immediately disqualified. Candidates are also required to submitted a thoroughly completed Connecticut Department of Transportation Commercial Driver Supplement (CTDOT-CDL-1) form.
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Diane Tyc at email@example.com
and reference the Recruitment No.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for performing a variety of skilled tasks at less than the journeyman level in the construction, maintenance and repair of state roadsides, roadways, bridges, airports and other departmental facilities; operates and maintains the more complex mechanical equipment; works as a skilled mechanic at less than the journeyman level in the repair of mechanical equipment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
See attached addendum.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of construction, maintenance and repair techniques of roadsides, roadways, bridges or airports; knowledge of processes and materials used in construction and maintenance trades; oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to use and make ordinary repairs to more complex mechanical equipment; ability to operate equipment as listed on attached Addendum; ability to keep shop records and prepare reports; ability to use, set up and maintain ordinary bench and other shop machine tools and equipment; ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in the construction, maintenance and repair of roadsides, roadways, bridges or airports, in work involving the operation and care of mechanical equipment, or in work in one of the recognized maintenance trades.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of the subject requirements in one of the maintenance trades may be substituted for the General Experience.
• Diesel repair experience
• Preferred experience performing B-Tech level repairs.
• Experience in automotive, light truck repair/diagnostic’s relating to various makes and models, heavy truck repair, construction equipment maintenance and repairs, small engine repairs
• Experience working with; automotive repair software, including diagnostic and repair information research and an understanding of vehicle electric system diagnose.
• Experience in the areas of repair welding and fabrication
• Experience in basic hydraulic system diagnose and repairs.
• Experience with basic computer programs and record keeping
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbent in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform theduties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.