The State of Connecticut
, Department of Economic and Community Development
(DECD) has an opportunity for a Supervising Accountant with a commitment to excellence who thrives in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate for this position will enjoy supervising a team with diverse responsibilities, complex accounting and the challenge of continuously enhancing operations. The successful candidate will lead or directly perform a wide range of complex fiscal functions including: accounts receivable and managing delinquencies/defaults; federal and state grant management; general, bond and federal funds management including preparation of reports and analyses; all aspects of loan management; change initiatives to improve efficiency; and responding to audit requests and developing corrective action plans.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position. All applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application.
Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Mitch Samal at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for supervising an accounting unit or function.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Schedules, assigns, oversees and reviews work of staff; provides staff training and assistance; conducts performance evaluations; determines priorities and plans unit work; establishes and maintains unit accounting procedures including EDP procedures; develops or make recommendations on development of policies and standards; consults with superiors on accounting and fiscal matters; acts as liaison with other operating units, agencies and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; prepares reports and correspondence; directs review and verification of complex financial documents, reports and statements; uses statistical data in evaluating cost benefit relationships; directs review and verification of posting to appropriate ledgers and subsidiary accounts and reconciliation of accounts and records; may direct analysis and preparation of budget requests; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of professional accounting principles and practices; considerable knowledge of governmental accounting and budgeting; knowledge of and ability to apply relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to evaluate and analyze accounting forms, methods and procedures and cost data; considerable ability to devise and install accounting procedures and systems; ability to evaluate and analyze accounting methods, procedures and data; supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Eight (8) years of experience in accounting or auditing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been performing the most complex accounting functions OR acting in a lead or consultative capacity at the level of Associate Accountant or Associate Accounts Examiner.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in Accounting or a closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree
2. A Master's degree in accounting may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
3. Certification in any of the following may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience: Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor
- Work experience using CORE modules including accounts receivable and general ledger
- Work experience with bond fund management and related reports
- Lead or supervisory experience for a team performing accounting functions
- Work experience with change initiatives such as Lean with responsibility for delivering quantifiable results
- Work experience developing, leading and implementing corrective action plans in response to audit findings
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.