The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) invites its qualified agency employees to apply for the position of of the Transportation Maintainer 4 (Highly Skilled Tree Climber) located in the Pomfret Maintenance Facility. This position is responsible for performance of highly skilled tasks in the cutting and climbing of trees in the maintenance of state highways and roadways. The work hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., 37.5 hours per week.
Eligible candidates will be required to participate in a skill evaluation practicum through the Department. Applicants must hold a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B, with Tank Endorsement and meet the Preferred Qualifications listed below in order to be eligible to apply. Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are need, mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30. Various storm events will require employees to stay at work for the duration of the storm; which at times could be up to a period of several days, to include holidays and weekends.
Incumbents in this class will be required to have a 20 mile residency from the job location. Applicants invited to interview will be required to produce a copy of their Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B, with Tank Endorsement, valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC) at time of interview or they will be immediately disqualified. Candidates will be required to bring a copy of their Master Application and their last two service ratings.
In order to be considered for this job posting, you must be a current State of CT employee of the Department of Transportation, who has permanent state status*, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For the employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time equivalent).
Ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the Jobaps system. Applicants who submit and subsequently withdraw their application will not be able to resubmit for the same posting.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to answer additional questions and/or submit additional documentation which supports their qualifications for this position. These documents may include: cover letters, college transcripts, verification of degree completion, proof of licensure, performance appraisals employment/supervisor references, etc.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The candidate pool resulting from this posting may be used to fill future Transportation Maintainer 4 (Highly Skilled Tree Climbers) vacancies that occur in District 2, Pomfret Maintenance Facility, in the next twelve (12) months. Candidates who are offered
and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code
of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Due to the large volume of applications receive, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Ann Januszewski at firstname.lastname@example.org
and reference pn# 28787.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for performing a variety of highly skilled tasks in the construction, maintenance and repair of State roadways, roadsides, bridges, airports and other departmental facilities; operates and maintains highly complex mechanical equipment; may serve as trainer.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
The following is a listing of examples of trucks, equipment, tasks or related duties, the operating, maintaining or performing of which are considered to be the responsibilities and duties of position in this class:
Performing highly skilled tree cutting tasks.
- Line marking machine (10 wheel, barrel type)
- Core drills, Concrete Saws
- Front End Loader
- Hand operated pavement marking machine
- Operating a backhoe; operating a wing truck to plow snow on state roadways
- Performing highly skilled tasks in tree climbing and cutting, one or more of the following areas or trades; construction, maintenance, mechanical repair
- In addition to other duties, may assist a Transportation Maintenance Manger in preparing and checking reports.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of the construction, maintenance and repair techniques of roadways, roadsides, bridges or airports; considerable knowledge of the processes and materials used in the construction and maintenance of highway and bridges or airports; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to operate skillfully and make ordinary repairs to highly complex mechanical equipment as listed on the attached addendum; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Three (3) years of experience in the construction, maintenance and repair of roadways, roadsides, bridges or airports, in work involving the operation and care of mechanical equipment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been in the operation of complex equipment or the performance of skilled tasks.
Note: For State Employees this is interpreted at the level of Transportation Maintainer 3.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of the subject requirements in one of the maintenance trades may be substituted for two (2) years of the General Experience.
Experience/skill in performing highly skilled tasks in the climbing and cutting of trees in the maintenance of state highways and roadways and performing related duties.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal whenever his or her services are needed.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.