The State of Connecticut, Department of Children and Families (DCF) is seeking qualified candidates for a Pupil Services Specialist. This is a part-time, first shift, thirty-four (34) hours per week position located at Albert J. Solnit South facility, 915 River Road, Middletown, CT 06457.
The work schedule is; Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 7:50am to 3:20pm; Thursday and Friday from 8:00a.m to 3:00pm.
Candidates selected for interview must provide the following at the time of interview:
- State of Connecticut certification in their field of study.
Please include a resume within the "resume" tab of your application. For questions regarding this posting please contact: Jenny Nguyen, Jenny.Nguyen@ct.gov, (860) 550-6484.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state institution, facility or region within a state unified school district, performs professional services within the area of pupil personnel and special education services in a school setting and serves in a resource capacity and consultant to teachers.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs services for students in the area of special training such as educational diagnosis, counseling, speech and hearing, social work, or psychological services; serves in a resource capacity to educational staff and other appropriate individuals; confers with parents and teachers concerning individual students and assists in planning educational programs; keeps records and makes necessary reports; may serve as liaison with school systems and community services; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of the philosophy and methods of service delivery to the assigned disciplines; knowledge of the principles and practices of education and or services for special needs population; ability to motivate students; ability to communicate at the appropriate level; ability to establish cooperative relationships with those contacted in planning educational programs; ability to prepare written reports; ability to perform educational testing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Master's degree which includes a planned program of preparation for the field in which the special services are performed.
Seeking candidates with at least one of the following Connecticut certifications:
- School Psychologist, School Social Worker, and/or School Counselor
- Knowledge of Special Education services and laws
- Experience in alternative education settings
- Experience with 6-12 Educational Assessments (psychological and academic), e.g., KTEA3, WISC 4, Behavior Rating Scales
- Experience with Chairing PPT’s
1. Incumbents in this class must possess an appropriate certificate issued by the Connecticut State Board of Education in special education or special services areas such as school counselor (elementary or secondary), speech and hearing consultant, school psychologist, pscyhological examiner or school social worker.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a current Connecticut Motor Vehicle operator's license.
In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made prior to appointment.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.