The State of Connecticut Department of Developmental Services (DDS) has one (1) current full-time job opportunity for a Human Resources Generalist 2 position in the Human Resource Employment Services unit based out of the DDS Office located in Wallingford, CT. With the centralization of Human Resources under the State's Department of Administrative Services this position will be an agency business partner and is assigned to remain at the agency.
This position is ideal for candidates who desire to work in and thrive in a challenging fast pace and high demand environment.
This is a full-time forty (40) hour per week position. The work schedule is Monday through Friday on first shift. However, work schedule flexibility is required in order to meet the demands of the job.
This position is open ONLY to current State employees.
Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening and must specify their qualifications on their application.
Please note you will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has permanent state status* and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
Incumbents in this class will be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
Incumbents in this class will be required to travel.
This posting MAY require completion of additional referral questions (RQ’s) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. Please regularly check your email for notifications. You must reply by the deadline indicated on the notification or you will be automatically disqualified from consideration.
At any point later in the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: performance reviews, attendance, supervisor references, college transcripts, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Daimar Ramos at Daimar.Ramos@ct.gov or 860-263-2625.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Administrative Services, this class is deployed at an agency and is accountable for independently performing a full range of human resources duties as an agency business partner.
In a state agency outside of the State's centralized Human Resources structure, this class will be accountable for independently performing a full range of human resources and other related duties.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
The primary function of the position is to act as a specialist overseeing recruiting and CORE-CT HRMS and JobAps functions as well as the daily HR needs of the agency as assigned. The incumbent of this position will independently perform a full range of complex professional duties associated with HR management included, but not limited to the following:
- Reviewing and handling requests to fill positions
- Ensures proper organizational structure, use of classification system and implementation of compensations plans
- Processing Position Data and Job Data transactions in CORE-CT
- Working in JobAps including creating posting requisitions, certifying position, creating referral questions, sending out notices, consulting with hiring managers on appropriate entries into JobAps, hiring candidates, etc.
- New Hire process and incorporation of EEO goals
- Calculates salaries for all hire, promotions, demotions and TSHC
- Conducting required preemployment checks
- Assists in the implementation of EEO policies and procedures as part of the recruitment process
- Generate Employee Selection Reports (ESRs) for distribution to EEO Division for each recruitment
- May assist or conduct orientation sessions
- Submit employment related transaction report to Business Office & HR Director
- Prepares ad-hoc reports using EPM and STARS
- May supervise HR office staff
- Performs audits of CORE-CT records including seniority and longevity and as needed enters changes into CORE-CT
- Review personnel files with employees
- Counsels and advises employees on matters related to employment, career development, transfers, separations, recruitment, employee benefits, and/or retirement benefits
- Counsels and refers employees to assistance programs
- May maintain completion of Working Test Period Database and processes completion of WTP in CORE-CT
- Responsible for interpreting the respective collective bargaining agreements and HR policies and procedures
- Other related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of: human resources management and relevant state and federal laws, regulations, policies and procedures;
Knowledge of: employment practices related to civil rights, equal employment opportunity, job classification, recruitment and selection, compensation and benefit programs, pay administration, workers compensation, human resources information systems and labor relations;
Considerable: interpersonal skills, oral and written communication skills and conflict resolution skills;
Ability to: work effectively in a matrixed organization; analyze and balance customer’s needs with laws, regulations, policies, procedures and collective bargaining agreements;
Ability to: supervise, strategically plan, including succession planning, and ability to apply innovative solutions to organizational problems.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years professional experience in human resources management.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been at the junior working level in human resources management.
For state employees, this is interpreted at the level of Human Resources Generalist 1 or Human Resources Associate.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equaling one half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in human resources management, labor relations, business administration, public administration or other closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Demonstrated experience with CORE-CT (PeopleSoft) with Human Resources modules in processing variety of position and employee transactions
- Experience conducting recruitments
- Understands process and rules related to recruitment – e.g. variations between union contracts, pecking order, re-employment/SEBAC rules, salary determination, competitive vs. non-competitive recruitments, etc.
- Considerable experience using JobAps system for recruitments
- Demonstrated experience creating and running ad-hoc queries using EPM and OBI-STARS
- Considerable experience using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access and Outlook)
- Demonstrated ability to manage a large volume of work and prioritize effectively to achieve results in a set timeframe
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer services skills
- Ability to cultivate and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to problem solve/exercise critical thinking
- Detail oriented
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.