|Date Opened||11/30/2019 12:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$77,327 - $100,630/year * new State employees start at minimum|
|Job Type||Open to the Public|
|Close Date||12/16/2019 11:59:00 PM|
Do you want to be part of a phenomenal team of Engineering and Construction professionals who are shaping the future of Transportation in Connecticut? The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) seeks applications for a Transportation Engineer 2 (Construction Engineering) position in the Bureau of Engineering and Construction, Office of Construction, Quality Assurance Unit, in Newington, CT.
* Oversee design phase project plan reviews, design progress meeting correlations, field observations/meetings to coordinate construction staging with stakeholders including District Construction Offices, Environmental personnel and Utility companies.
* Perform in-depth Headquarters Final Reviews consisting of audits of construction Daily Work Reports, payments, change orders, quantity measurements and calculations to verify conformance with current contractual and administrative record keeping policies and procedures, Standard Specifications, and the Construction Manual.
* Visit construction jobsites to perform Intermediate Reviews, preparing reports, training, assisting with specification revisions, and providing lessons learned.
* Participate with the Specifications Section to refine/upgrade construction means and methods and new items incorporated into the Standard Specifications with input regarding detail standard sheets.
* Work in conjunction with the eConstruction Team to provide real world input as the Department migrates to paperless records keeping.
The DOT offers a competitive starting salary and excellent State benefits package including health/dental insurance, generous paid time off, retirement plan, alternate work schedule options and a multitude of other benefits. We also offer the convenience of an on-site, low-cost fitness center and on-site cafeteria at our Headquarters facility. DOT facilities have ample free parking with easy access from major highways or by public transportation.
Watch this video to see the exciting work we do!
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. You MUST select "Newington" or ALL" in the work location section of the application.
In addition to meeting the minimum qualifications as listed on this job opening, candidates must possess knowledge of civil engineering and construction management theories, principles and methods; skill in use of computer aided design software (Microstation preferred) and other computer applications including Word and Excel; strong oral and written communication, organizational and interpersonal skills; ability to analyze plans and estimates; ability to problem solve, recommend and implement effective solutions in a timely manner; ability to prioritize and multi-task; and considerable ability in performing mathematical computations.
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, available to travel to and attend training, conferences, public meetings, field reviews, etc. both within and outside of normal working hours when necessary, and must have a valid Driver's license. Applicants must list their valid Driver's license number, expiration date and issuing State, and any other job-relevant licenses or certifications, in the Licenses and Professional Certifications section of their application. This position may be assigned to perform field work with exposure to year round weather conditions, traffic and/or construction.
Applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application. Ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps system. Applicants who submit and subsequently withdraw their application will not be able to resubmit for the same posting.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to answer additional questions and/or submit additional documentation which supports their qualifications for this position. These documents may include; cover letters, college transcripts, verification of degree completion, foreign education equivalency reports from a recognized USA accrediting service, proof of licensure, performance appraisals, employment/supervisory references, etc.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The candidate pool resulting from this posting may be used to fill Transportation Engineer 2 (Construction Engineering) vacancies that occur in the Office of Construction in Newington in the next twelve (12) months. Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Jackie Ouellette at email@example.com and reference TE2 (CE) #88282.
In the Department of Transportation, this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of engineering or related tasks in one or more aspects of transportation construction engineering projects or studies in the following areas: construction, administration, rehabilitation, surveying, testing, materials testing, operations, or maintenance.
Inspects construction projects; acts as a team member in preparation of plans and estimates for construction or maintenance of bridges, structures and highways; reviews shop plans; oversees collection, recording, preparation and analysis of data pertaining to materials testing and transportation planning; assists in budget preparation, report writing, general planning and administration of unit work from an engineering project coordination and technical stand point; prepares research and administrative reports; assembles and prepares contracts and unit cost figures; plans budgetary requirements; leads survey parties or acts as chief inspector of highway construction projects; oversees field and office work in surveys; performs complex tasks in the generation of base survey planimetric and topographic mapping and cross sections utilizing an analytical stereoplotter and a CADD (computer aided design and drafting) system work terminal; oversees and plans work of technical aides in maintenance, taking and analyzing test borings; performs related duties as required.
Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of more than one specialized field in transportation construction engineering such as construction, surveys and materials testing; skill and ability to analyze and evaluate construction location problems and provide effective solutions; considerable skill in use of computer aided design and drafting (CADD) applications; considerable technical skills in preparation of engineering and administrative reports; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to perform complex mathematical calculations; ability to develop and interpret plans and specifications.
A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Construction Management and two (2) years of experience in a professional transportation construction engineering or transportation engineering capacity.
Note: For State employees, one (1) year of experience must have been at the level of Transportation Engineer 1 (Construction Engineering) or (Engineering).
1. Possession of Land Surveyor (LS) licensure or Professional Engineer (PE) licensure from the Department of Consumer Protection State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors consistent with C.G.S.§20-302 may be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree requirement.
2. Possession of Land Surveyor-In-Training (LSIT) licensure or Engineer-In-Training (EIT) licensure from the Department of Consumer Protection State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors consistent with C.G.S.§20-302 may be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree requirement.
3. Possession of at least Level III certification, from the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET), in one of the following Civil Engineering Technology Programs may be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree requirement:
a. Transportation Construction Inspection Program - Highway Construction Inspection
b. Construction Materials Testing Program - Asphalt or Concrete
c. Transportation Program - Highway Materials, Highway Surveys or Highway Construction Inspection
4. Possession of a Level III Survey Technician Certification from the National Society of Professional Surveyors may be substituted for the Bachelor’s Degree requirement.
5. A Master’s degree in engineering may be substituted for one (1) year of the General Experience.
Preferred Qualifications include familiarity with SiteManager, CTDOT Standard Specifications Form 817, CTDOT Construction Manual, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Project and Microsoft Access and the ability to interpret construction plans and specifications. Alternative Contracting experience and field experience as a construction inspector is a plus. Additionally, we seek strong work ethic and interest to work in the transportation construction engineering field. Professional ambition demonstrated by taking the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and obtaining an Engineer-In-Training license is a plus.
1. Incumbents may be required to possess appropriate certification from the New England Transportation Technician Program (NTTCP).
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
3. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some danger of injury or physical harm from highway or construction environments and a moderate degree of discomfort from exposure to year round weather conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.