Our mission at the State of Connecticut Department of Administrative Services (DAS), is to strive to promote timely, fair, competent, cost-effective services to address the needs of state agencies, municipalities and the public.
We provide superior benefits, competitive salaries and place where people truly believe in what they are doing. We’re committed in bringing passion and customer focus to all those with whom we interact.
The Department of Administrative Services' Bureau of Enterprise Systems and Technology (BEST) – Infrastructure Services Division, is currently accepting applications for an Infrastructure Design Subject Matter Expert (IT SME). The position is full-time, 35 hours per week, Monday through Friday, and located at 55 Farmington Ave. in Hartford, CT.
All applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application.
Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position. State employees currently holding the above title or those who have previously attained permanent status in this class may apply for a lateral transfer.
Questions about these required documents or any other phase of this recruitment should be directed to the hiring agency's human resources office: Elena Vazquez, email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency supporting a highly complex Information Technology (IT) environment this class is accountable for functioning as a Subject Matter Expert in one of the following functional IT areas: networking, security, systems development, systems programming or database administration. This class also provides technical leadership and consultation in the areas of architecture, application design, systems programming, system integration, and/or database management OR the analysis, development and operational support of highly complex technologies affecting multiple infrastructure areas.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
This position will be responsible for the following:
- Providing Enterprise Network support and direction moving to the Cloud;
- Providing Network direction, architecture, design and project management moving from Fabric Path to VXLAN technology for the States Data Centers;
- Providing 7x24x365 On-call SME support and participating on Severity 1 calls when needed;
- Participating and leading in the development of new Network architectural designs;
- Recommending policies, procedures, and associated technical implementation standards, as required;
- Researching, designing, analyzing, developing and enhancing new and highly complex infrastructure projects in support of agency information systems;
- Participating in the designs and configuration of infrastructure systems that optimize information access capabilities and ensure the security and integrity of these systems;
- Providing consultation in technology areas, such as IT Security, Network Architecture (including LAN/WAN Local and Wide Area Networks design);
- Providing recommendations and guidance to management and individual employees regarding area of expertise including technical leadership and consultation in the areas of architecture and application design, system integration, and/or database management or the analysis and development of highly complex technologies affecting multiple infrastructure areas;
- Serving as Subject Matter Expert on various IT project teams; researching and analyzes technology trends and assisting in the development of infrastructure technology strategy and standards;
- Troubleshooting existing infrastructure systems to identify errors or deficiencies; recommends and implements software, hardware and configuration changes to improve system performance;
- Participating in defining architecture and technology standards to optimize system performance and integrity;
- Participating in long-term infrastructure technology strategy development and planning;
- Recommending new tools, technologies, and platforms to be implemented;
- Assisting in supporting a comprehensive disaster recovery plan for the State of CT infrastructure.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of current methods of information systems analysis, design and development; considerable knowledge of principles, practices and techniques of information technology; considerable knowledge of applications systems development principles, techniques and development; considerable knowledge of principles and techniques of computer programming and languages; considerable knowledge of principles and theories of business planning functions; considerable knowledge of project management principles and techniques; considerable knowledge of principles and techniques of systems analysis and design; considerable knowledge of computer operating systems and databases; considerable knowledge of business re-engineering process; considerable knowledge of principles of data modeling and related tools; considerable knowledge of distributed systems architecture, network, middleware and object oriented analysis; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable analytical and problem solving skills; considerable ability to develop and implement system security and disaster recovery plans; considerable ability to identify, analyze and resolve highly complex business and technical problems; considerable ability to conduct highly complex detailed analysis and design of major computer systems and networks; considerable ability to develop reports, manuals and documentation.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Nine (9) years of experience in infrastructure systems support, programming, database administration, systems/software development, networking or technical support.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been performing advanced technical level duties or as a working supervisor in one of the following areas:
1. Designing, configuring and implementing complex networks.
2. Configuring, installing and upgrading host based applications packages and host and/or operating system software.
3. System software/application development.
NOTE: For state employees this is interpreted at the level of Information Technology Analyst 3.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in management information systems, computer science or information technology related area may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equaling six (6) months of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in management information systems, computer science or electrical engineering may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
The successful candidate will possess:
- CCNP / R&S Certified – (Cisco Certified Network Professional & Route and Switch Certified) and CCNA – (Cisco Certified Network Associate);
- Experience designing hybrid data centers and migrating to Microsoft Azure;
- Experience in Software as a Service (SaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) Solutions;
- Experience with Team Foundation Server and Azure Team Services;
- 9 years of experience troubleshooting in Network Security,
- 9 years of experience providing network design, deployment, support, installation and analysis for Local Area network (LAN) and Wide Area network (WAN) using Cisco and Juniper;
- Experience deploying routing protocols and troubleshooting route redistribution;
- Experience with Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA) and Checkpoint firewall administration across global networks;
- Experience with Azure Express route integration and network design.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.