New Haven, CT
|Date Opened||11/6/2019 4:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$18.18* - $22.98/hour *(employees new to state service will start at min. of the pay range)|
|Job Type||Open to the Public|
|Close Date||11/15/2019 11:59:00 PM|
Southern Connecticut State University (SCSU) is a constituent unit of the Board of Regents for Higher Education (BOR), Connecticut State Colleges and Universities. As one of the State of Connecticut institutions of higher learning, this university offers a diverse and student-centered experience, dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Southern provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus wide commitment to social justice.
Founded as a teacher's college in 1893, Southern has evolved over the past century into a comprehensive public university of more than 10,000 students, offering graduate and undergraduate programs in the liberal arts and professional disciplines. It is one of four universities in the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities System. The University is located in New Haven, a city rich with arts and culture, and less than 90 miles from New York City and 140 miles from Boston.
We are currently recruiting for a part-time Clerk Typist position in Student Accounts. The position is 30 hours per week, Monday - Friday (10:00 am - 4:30 pm). Preference may be given to current State of Connecticut employees.
All applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application with their submission. Applicants invited to interview will be required to submit additional documentation, which supports their qualification(s) for this position.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. For all other inquiries, please contact LaKecia Anderson, AndersonL8@southernct.edu.
In a state agency, this class is accountable for performing a full range of general clerical functions including basic processing, reception, filing, record keeping, bookkeeping and typing.
1. TYPING: Using a typewriter, personal computer and other electronic equipment types a variety of materials from rough copy or electronic recording device including correspondence, memos, reports, forms, applications, bills and other documents and records with speed and accuracy; reviews and corrects drafts for conformance with originals; enters and retrieves data on personal computers and computer terminals.
2. FILING: Maintains logs; sets up and maintains records and files according to established procedures; (e.g. alpha, numeric or chronological order); searches files for information.
3. CORRESPONDENCE: Prepares and sends out standard form letters making minor revisions or additions.
4. REPORT WRITING: Compiles information from standard sources and prepares reports.
5. INTERPERSONAL: Answers phone, transfers calls and takes messages; receives and directs visitors; handles routine requests for information, procedural guidelines or assistance over the telephone or in person; (e.g. counter, reception and/or information desk).
6. PROCESSING: Receives, sorts and distributes mail; performs a variety of basic processing tasks (e.g., sorts, numbers, codes and files materials), reviews materials for accuracy and completeness (ensures categorical information is completed as required), makes changes per instructions or as authorized, verifies information through cross-referencing of existing computer and/or manual files or inquiries by phone or form letter to sender or other work units; does routine posting to ledgers, account books or other records; receives payments for licenses, bills, applications, fines and fees, etc.; prepares, totals and balances receipts; prepares cash transmittal/deposit slips; types and prepares purchase requisitions, orders or billing invoices according to established procedures; assists in or maintains inventory and orders supplies; performs related duties as required.
Knowledge of office procedures including proper telephone usage and filing; knowledge of spelling, punctuation and grammar; skill in typing a variety of materials; basic interpersonal skill; basic oral and written communication skills; basic skill in performing arithmetical computations; ability to operate office equipment which includes personal computers, computer terminals and other electronic equipment; ability to perform basic clerical tasks such as coding, sorting, alphabetizing and numeric ordering.
Preference will be given to applicants with the following experience and training:
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.