The State of Connecticut, Department of Public Health (DPH) is currently seeking a Health Services Worker within the Immunization Program. This Health Services Worker position conducts outreach on patients enrolled in the statewide web-based immunization information system (CT WiZ), in collaboration with health care providers as well as state and community organizations.
This position is full-time, first shift, 35 hours per week, typically Monday – Friday.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Deb Lyons at Deborah.Lyons@ct.gov or (860) 509-7180.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Public Health in a public health service program or distinctive public health promotion/intervention component this class is accountable for the provision of community outreach efforts, assistance in the conduct of public health educational/promotional campaigns or research projects and/or implementation of intervention strategies and epidemiologic surveys.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Assists in collection of health data from patients, physicians and other sources of information; visits homes, hospitals, work sites for purposes of interviewing and inquiring into health related behavior including close and causal contacts of patients for future follow up; investigates potential infectious disease carriers for referral to appropriate health care facilities; assists local health departments with other infectious disease activities including counseling and education; assists in development of health informational and/or educational initiatives in specific program area (e.g. AIDS, Cancer Control, Hypertension, School Health and other community health programs); coordinates special internal and external health promotion events; assists in delivery and dissemination of vaccine and/or drug usage information and supplies; serves as liaison between specific health program areas and health care providers; may assist in maintenance of data bases of health program areas; may provide community groups and health care providers with information on new drugs and warnings on current drugs and vaccines; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of basic interviewing and investigative techniques; knowledge of medical terminology; knowledge of community and public health organizations; some knowledge of patient counseling and education techniques; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to follow oral and written instructions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
High school graduation and two (2) years of experience involved in the delivery of human, health or social services.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. An Associate Degree with courses in health education or the social sciences may be substituted for the General Experience.
2. Two years as a Health Services Worker Trainee may be substituted for the General Experience.
- Experience communicating with health care providers, parents and the public about immunizations or other health related information.
- Experience entering immunization and patient information into a web-based system (such as CT WiZ) or related experience.
- Experience conducting training or help desk support on a web-based system or related experience.
- Experience conducting outreach utilizing strategies such as phone calling, mailings and collaborating with parents, health care providers, state and community organizations and programs for public health purposes.
- Experience working with the following software packages:
- MS Word and MS Power Point to prepare communication and training materials.
- MS Publisher to prepare and edit communications materials.
- MS Excel to manage and manipulate data and reports.
Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderately heavy loads.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Department of Public Health aims to provide equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and advancement, fostering an environment committed to supporting individuals in all protected classes. If you require an aid/accommodation to participate fully and fairly, please contact the Human Resources Office at (860) 509-7177.