The State of Connecticut, Department of Children and Families (DCF), is currently recruiting for a Secretary 1 in the Danbury Area Office at 131 West Street, Danbury, CT. The position is full time, 40 hours per week. This is a 1st shift position that operates Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm.
At DCF, we are partnering with communities and empowering families to raise resilient children who thrive. We are composed of a Central Office, 14 area offices, and 2 facilities.
We are looking for someone with:
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including proper grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Organizational skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
- The ability to handle information of a highly confidential nature with discretion.
Please include your resume within the "Resume Tab" of your application.
If selected to interview, please provide three letters of supervisory references at the time of interview.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Jenny Nguyen at email@example.com, 203-207-5185
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency, this class is accountable for performing a full range of secretarial support functions.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate meetings, attend meetings, prepare meeting minutes and follow up to ensure minutes are approved by facilitator.
- Perform electronic file maintenance work including: updating and maintaining computer files.
- Process substantiations appeals and letters.
- Enter biweekly timesheets.
- Assist with front desk duties (rotation).
- Process invoices and follow-up with providers with any invoice discrepancies.
- Assist other clerical with e-filing of legal/court document (when short staffed).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of office systems and procedures; considerable knowledge of proper grammar, punctuation and spelling; knowledge of business communications; some knowledge of business math; interpersonal skills; ability to schedule and prioritize office workflow; ability to operate office equipment which includes personal computers and electronic equipment; ability to operate office suite software; ability to take notes (shorthand, speedwriting or other method acceptable to the supervisor).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years' experience above the routine clerk level in office support or secretarial work.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training in the secretarial sciences may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including: Outlook, Excel and Word.
- Attention to detail.
- Accuracy and proofreading skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work well with a wide variety of people.
- Experience working in a fast paced environment that requires you to respond to multiple demands and prioritizing work.
- Experience in maintaining time and attendance records.
- Experience in processing and maintaining paperwork for purchasing (e.g. invoices).
- Experience/proficiency with CORE–CT or other HRIS/Financial database
- Knowledge of the Connecticut On-Line Law Enforcement Communications Teleprocessing - COLLECT.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.