The State of Connecticut, Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS), is a health care agency whose mission is to promote the overall health and wellness of persons with behavioral health needs through an integrated network of holistic, comprehensive, effective, and efficient services and supports that foster dignity, respect, and self-sufficiency in those we serve.
The DMHAS, CT Valley Hospital (CVH) has five (5) current part-time job opportunities for Nurse positions within General Psychiatry Division (GPD). These positions are located at 1000 Silver Street, Middletown, CT 06457. They are 14 hours weekly, every Saturday and Sunday. Please note these positions do not include benefits.
Position details as follows:
- Position One (122999): Battell 3 South, 1st shift, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Position Two (123000): Woodward 2 South, 1st shift, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Position Three (123001): Battell 4 South, 2nd shift, 3:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.
- Position Four (123002): Battell 4 South, 2nd shift, 3:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.
- Position Five (123004): Battell 3 North, 3rd Shift, 11:15 p.m. to 7:15 a.m.
These positions are located on the following inpatient units:
- Battell 3 South is a co-ed unit with 22 clients. This unit specializes in a gamut of serious persistent mental illnesses and symptoms on this general psychiatric unit.
- Woodward 2 South is a co-ed unit with 15 clients specializing in the assessment and treatment of clients with both mental illness and an acquired brain injury (ABI).
- Battell 4 South is a co-ed unit with 22 clients. This unit specializes in a gamut of serious persistent mental illnesses and symptoms. The clients are admitted through DMHAS psychiatric and forensic services along with the general hospitals and the community.
- Battell 3 North is an intensive treatment unit with 22 co-ed clients. This unit specializes in the treatment of individuals with a refractory psychiatric illness who have not responded to treatment in less restrictive or less structured settings.
Applicants interested in any/all of the above positions must apply to this posting. Candidates will be able to identify shift preference later in the recruitment process. Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening and must specify their qualifications on their application. Please note you will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
Applicants invited to interview will be requested to supply the following: copy of current license as a Registered Professional Nurse in the State of Connecticut and copy of driver's license.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Doreen Clemson, DMHAS HR, at Doreen.Clemson@ct.gov or (860) 262-7116.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for providing a full range of professional nursing care.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Independently implements the nursing process with patients/clients including carrying out physicians orders regarding diet, medication and treatment; performs assessments; changes dressings; monitors and ensures quality care through observation and evaluation; reports on physiological and mental health status of patients/clients; documents nursing interventions on medical records; distributes and maintains records of controlled drugs and insures their security; maintains records and makes reports; makes decisions in routine cases; instructs patients/clients, staff and family members regarding treatments, nursing plans and related patient/client care issues directed towards an awareness and understanding of health/mental health issues; responds to emergencies; maintains availability of medications and supplies; ensures cleanliness of equipment and environment; may participate as a member of an interdisciplinary treatment team in the assessment, development, implementation and evaluation of patients/clients treatment or health/mental health care plans; may formulate and implement nursing care plans; may participate in outpatient clinics and assist in physical examinations; may administer routine tests; may conduct training; may delegate nursing tasks consistent with established protocols; may participate in psychotherapeutic and rehabilitation interventions; may physically restrain patients/clients; may provide related medical or mental health specialty services; may serve as Qualified Mental Retardation Professional; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of and ability to apply professional nursing theory, practice and ethics; knowledge of current medications, their actions, interactions, uses and side effects; knowledge of medical, therapeutic and psychiatric nursing interventions and methods; knowledge of and ability to apply quality standards, procedures and protocols; knowledge of and sensitivity to cultural and socio-economic difference; knowledge of and ability to apply clinical therapeutic models of client/patient care with emphasis on interdisciplinary team approach; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to act as a role model to health care staff by demonstrating and teaching professional behaviors; ability to learn specialized patient/client care applicable to work assignment; ability to listen and provide empathetic assistance to patients/clients and families in meeting their needs and carrying out prescribed treatments; ability to develop therapeutic relationships with patients/clients, and their caregivers; ability to respond to emergencies; ability to respond to and seek supervision; ability to encourage and facilitate cooperation, pride trust and group identity to foster commitment and team work; ability to analyze and evaluate proper care and treatment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Graduation from an accredited nursing program.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a license or temporary permit as a Registered Professional Nurse in Connecticut.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to be fluent in a foreign language or proficient in the use of the American Sign Language in certain designated positions.
3. Incumbents in this class will be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift and restrain patients/clients; may have exposure to communicable/infectious diseases and risk of injury from assaultive/abusive patients/clients; may be exposed to disagreeable conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.