|Date Opened||9/4/2019 12:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$44,178*- $57,970/year (*New hires to State employment start at minimum of salary range)|
|Job Type||Open to the Public|
|Close Date||9/11/2019 11:59:00 PM|
The State of Connecticut Office of the Secretary of the State is accepting applications for this Secretary 1 position within the Elections Division. It is a full-time (40 hours) position with work hours Monday - Friday from 8:00AM to 5:00PM. This position will provide direct support to the Staff Attorneys within the Elections Division and will be accountable for independently performing a full range of Secretary 1 duties. A successful candidate will be able to assist with the high volume of contact with the general public and heavy telephone presence. In addition, the candidate will assist the division’s three staff attorneys with written communications to our 500 plus local election officials, drafting of legislation and testimony before the legislature concerning elections issues, and the conduct and scheduling of training and outreach to the general public as well as local election officials.
All applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application with their submission. Please Note: You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Sofia Bonilla at email@example.com or (860)509-6053.
This position will be filled in accordance with reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Applicants invited to interview may be required to submit additional documentation, which supports their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
Incumbents perform a variety of secretarial duties as illustrated in the following areas:
1. TYPING: Using a personal computer or other electronic equipment formats and types a full range of correspondence, reports, bills, drafts, etc. from rough draft, transcription, dictated notes, etc.; proofreads for content; edits using knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
2. FILING: Designs office filing systems; organizes and maintains files (including confidential files); maintains, updates and reviews reference materials and manuals.
3. CORRESPONDENCE: Composes routine letters/memoranda, etc. (e.g. standard replies and acknowledgement letters) for supervisor's signature.
4. REPORT WRITING: Compiles information from standard sources and prepares data reports (e.g. number of forms processed during the month).
5. INTERPERSONAL: Greets and directs visitors; answers phones and takes messages; answers questions requiring knowledge of terminology, organization, supervisor's responsibilities, etc. (e.g. appropriate referrals, general purpose of the unit).
6. PROCESSING: Scans correspondence; pulls and attaches related materials; reviews, routes and prioritizes mail.
7. PERSONAL SECRETARY: Arranges and coordinates meetings (including space and equipment); writes minutes of meetings, lectures, conferences, etc. from rough draft; takes notes using shorthand, speedwriting or machine transcription prepares expense accounts; makes travel arrangements.
8. OFFICE MANAGEMENT: Maintains an inventory of supplies and equipment; orders supplies when necessary; completes, processes and maintains paperwork for purchasing (e.g. orders, requisitions, invoices, etc.); maintains time and attendance records; performs related duties as required.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
• Excellent verbal and written business communication and organizational skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with a diverse group of people
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite including Outlook, Excel and Word
• Experience coordinating data and drafting reports
• Ability to successfully manage multiple tasks and projects
• Attention to detail, accuracy and proofreading skills
• Ability to manage difficult situations with tact and diplomacy
• Experience communicating with internal and external customers
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team using initiative and problem-solving skills to complete projects on time with minimal supervisors
• Experience with the operation of web-based system operation
• Experience with cyber security standards
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.