|Date Opened||9/4/2019 12:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$46,101 - $60,203/year|
|Job Type||Open to Statewide Employees|
|Close Date||9/13/2019 11:59:00 PM|
The State of Connecticut, Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) seeks qualified individuals for the position of Skilled Maintainer within the Capital Region Mental Health Center, Plant Operations Division, 500 Vine Street, Hartford, CT 06112; PCN 26893. This position is 1st shift, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, full-time, 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday. Travel will be required.
Incumbent will be responsible for upkeep and maintenance of buildings and grounds for the facility and for assisting General Trade Workers in various duties. Specifically, this position assists with care of grounds, including lawns, shrubs and small trees. May assist with clearing snow or otherwise cleaning sidewalks and entrances including external stairs and pathways from parking lots, etc.
Please ensure that your application is complete and you have included your resume in the 'Resume Tab' of your application. You will NOT be able to make revisions once you submit your application into the JobAps system. Applicants invited to interview will be requested to supply a copy of their valid motor vehicle license.
Questions about this recruitment should be directed to Ramona Sablon, email@example.com or (860) 297-0905.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has permanent state status* and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing one or more tasks of a skilled nature (requiring prior experience or training, below the level of a specialized trades worker which would give the incumbent proficiency in required knowledges, skills and abilities on the first day of the job) in addition to performing lower level duties. Only complex tasks should be learned on the job. Tasks performed will be in one or several of the following areas:
1. Building and equipment maintenance (operational and remedial) including the operation of trucks of 5 ton or greater capacity or complex motorized equipment
2. Grounds care as a supervisor and/or specialized landscaping functions.
3. Assists Qualified Craft Workers or other higher level employees in the trades areas.
Examples of Duties by General Work Areas
FOR ALL AREAS:
Keeps records and prepares reports (this should be related to the duties and not a full time office recordkeeping position); performs related duties as required.
GROUNDS CARE (OUTSIDE SERVICES):
Incumbents in this area perform in one of the following ways:
1. Working supervisor: directs a crew of subordinate maintainers in such areas as planting and maintenance of lawns, shrubs, trees and flower beds (including planning and scheduling); maintenance and installation of fencing; cleaning of grounds, service areas and sidewalks (including snow and ice removal); operation and maintenance of grounds equipment; planting, cultivating, harvesting and storage of vegetables (including a vegetable growing program); weed, disease and pest control; performs other grounds tasks listed in the specification for lower level maintainers.
Supervisory tasks can include such things as planning and scheduling work; completing service ratings; performance appraisal; handling disciplinary problems; staff training; making certain work standards are being met; maintaining necessary supplies and equipment; submitting requisitions when needed. An incumbent in this position should be considered a working supervisor.
2. Substantial amount of time (75%) operates and makes minor and emergency repairs on complex equipment such as front end loaders, very large tractors and the like.
3. Performs specialized landscaping tasks such as flower garden landscaping, athletic field preparation and maintenance, and other non-routine landscaping functions.
May perform custodial functions as required.
MOTOR EQUIPMENT SERVICES:
In addition to motor equipment services tasks performed by lower level maintainers performs the following tasks for a substantial amount of the time (75%): operates and makes minor emergency repairs on motor trucks of five ton capacity and over and large buses for purpose of transporting goods, equipment and/or patients and/or clients and staff; maintains vehicles in good condition including cleaning, lubrication and preventative maintenance; supplies motor vehicles with gas, oil, water and other fluids; may pump fuel; may dispatch vehicles.
In addition to trades tasks performed by lower level maintainers performs the following skilled tasks for a substantial amount of time (75%) as an assistant to a trades person: construction, maintenance and repair as a painter, plasterer, carpenter, electrician, mason, plumber and/or steamfitter, tinsmith or comparable trades person.
These are only examples of types of tasks a Skilled Maintainer may be expected to perform. Incumbents in this class will also be expected to perform related duties as required. Tasks should only be assigned if they are of the appropriate skill level (as defined in the Purpose of Class).
Two (2) years of experience in one of the following areas:
1. One of the skilled trades
2. Landscape maintenance or vegetable gardening
3. Operation of motor trucks or large buses.
The experience area should reflect the needs of the position.
The preferred candidate will possess:
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.