|Date Opened||7/4/2019 12:00:00 AM|
|Job Type||Open to the Public|
|Close Date||8/5/2019 11:59:00 PM|
The State of Connecticut, Department of Developmental Services (DDS) - West Region - has one (1) current part-time job opportunity for a Developmental Services Self Advocate Coordinator (SAC).
This position will be located in the Waterbury office in the Self Determination Division. The schedule is 20 hours per week, based on the needs of position. Flexible (1st, 2nd shifts and weekends)
Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening and must specify their qualifications on their application.
Please note you will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
• Applicants must be an individual, who is DDS eligible and receives supports from DDS.
• Applicant needs to self-direct their supports or plan to self-direct and/or receives some supports from a private provider.
• Applicants must have knowledge of self-advocacy and self-determination and be able to represent individuals’ views.
• Applicant needs to live a “self-determined” life.
• Transportation is required to get to and from the office. Transportation to other locations will be negotiated.
• Individuals who may require additional 1-1 supports may use their individual DDS allocation or portable funds to provide these supports.
If selected for further consideration, at the time of interview, employee may be required to provide letters of reference.
This posting MAY require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. Please regularly check your email for notifications. You must reply by the deadline indicated on the notification or you will be automatically disqualified from consideration.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Norma Rivera at Norma.Rivera@ct.gov or 203-294-5104.
Examples of duties include: provide leadership, mentor and train individuals, families, internal DDS staff, qualified provider staff and community members; support existing Self Advocacy groups and educate and assist in creating new self advocacy groups; create self determination materials that are written for and by people with cognitive disabilities; participate in regional and statewide SAC meetings, act as a representative of the department on various statewide and regional committees/trainings; participate in interviews and assist in hiring for various DDS positions and involvement in community networks and promoting self determination and self direction within the state. The Self Advocate Coordinator may assist individuals in problem solving and planning development by providing peer to peer support. The SAC coordinator will assist organizations and individuals in developing and facilitating events to promote the initiatives of the department. This position is responsible for speaking to individuals, families, community members and private and public staff about self-determination and self-advocacy and the initiatives of DDS.
In accordance with Sec. 49-52 of Public Act 12-197, General Workers employed in positions by the Department of Developmental Services as a Self-Advocate, not to exceed eleven such general workers, are:
1) eligible for prorated sick leave, in accordance with DAS regulations;
2) eligible for prorated vacation and personal leave; and
3) must be given time off with pay, for the number of hours they would have been scheduled to work for any legal holiday that falls on a day that they would regularly be scheduled to work.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.