|Date Opened||5/23/2019 12:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$42,684 - $56,009/year|
|Job Type||Open to Statewide Employees|
|Close Date||6/1/2019 11:59:00 PM|
The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) has a Secretary 1 job opportunity available in the Bureau of Engineering and Construction, Surveys Office in District 4 located in Thomaston.
This position is full time, 40 hours per week, and is in the NP-3 (Administrative Clerical) bargaining unit. The Secretary 1 will provide excellent customer service to the staff and management of the Construction unit. The Secretary 1 will be responsible for preparing correspondence and technical reports; copying, scanning and filing documents and reports; aid and assist with maintaining electronic project files utilizing document control systems; proof reading draft documents prepared by engineers and survey staff; maintaining and ordering office supplies; maintaining inventory of equipment; tracking and scheduling training; mail handling; answering telephone calls and supplying information requested, resolving problems or redirecting inquiries; setting up meetings; serving as a back-up to other clerical staff and other related duties as required.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of Connecticut employee, who has permanent state status* and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time equivalent).
Applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application. Ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps system. Applicants who submit and subsequently withdraw their application will not be able to resubmit for the same posting.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to answer additional questions and/or submit additional documentation which supports their qualifications for this position. These documents may include; cover letters, college transcripts, verification of degree completion, proof of licensure, performance appraisals, employment/supervisor references, etc.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The candidate pool resulting from this posting may be used to fill Secretary 1 vacancies that occur in District 4, Engineering & Construction Surveys unit, in the next twelve (12) months. Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process Updates will be available through your Jobaps portal account.
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Jackie Ciampi at Jacqueline.Ciampi@ct.gov and reference Pos. # 30285.
Incumbents perform a variety of secretarial duties as illustrated in the following areas:
1. TYPING: Using a personal computer or other electronic equipment formats and types a full range of correspondence, reports, bills, drafts, etc. from rough draft, transcription, dictated notes, etc.; proofreads for content; edits using knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
2. FILING: Designs office filing systems; organizes and maintains files (including confidential files); maintains, updates and reviews reference materials and manuals.
3. CORRESPONDENCE: Composes routine letters/memoranda, etc. (e.g. standard replies and acknowledgement letters) for supervisor's signature.
4. REPORT WRITING: Compiles information from standard sources and prepares data reports (e.g. number of forms processed during the month).
5. INTERPERSONAL: Greets and directs visitors; answers phones and takes messages; answers questions requiring knowledge of terminology, organization, supervisor's responsibilities, etc. (e.g. appropriate referrals, general purpose of the unit).
6. PROCESSING: Scans correspondence; pulls and attaches related materials; reviews, routes and prioritizes mail.
7. PERSONAL SECRETARY: Arranges and coordinates meetings (including space and equipment); writes minutes of meetings, lectures, conferences, etc. from rough draft; takes notes using shorthand, speedwriting or machine transcription prepares expense accounts; makes travel arrangements.
8. OFFICE MANAGEMENT: Maintains an inventory of supplies and equipment; orders supplies when necessary; completes, processes and maintains paperwork for purchasing (e.g. orders, requisitions, invoices, etc.); maintains time and attendance records; performs related duties as required.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.