The State of Connecticut, Office of the State Medical Examiner, is seeking one (1) full-time Supervising Special Investigator (ME) to work in our facility in Farmington, CT. The hours of work are Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 3:30 pm with required rotating weekend and holiday coverage.
Our free-standing, modern facility is located on the Campus of the University of Connecticut Health Center and Medical School. The office is a state-wide medical examiner system charged with the investigation of sudden and unexpected deaths that by statute fall under our jurisdiction. Our agency operates 24/7/365 performing death investigations. Incumbents in this class are considered Level 1 employees. In addition to the checking of references and facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation may be made before the candidate is certified for appointment.
Incumbents in this class will be required to:
- Travel statewide in response to scenes of death and will be provided with a state-owned vehicle which will be garaged at the incumbent's place of residence.
- Maintain American Board of Medicolegal Death Investigation Certification.
- Possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
- Work weekends and holidays on a rotating basis.
- Be available to respond to agency inquiries while off-site/off-hours.
- Exposed to disagreeable conditions, including odors and situations
- Move and occasionally lift deceased human remains.
All applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application with their submission. Applicants invited to interview may be required to submit additional documentation, which supports their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
Should you have questions pertaining to any phase of this recruitment, please contact the hiring agency's human resources office: Rachel Fein, email@example.com@ocme.org, (860) 679-3982.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for supervising the staff of an investigative unit engaged in investigating complaints and alleged violations of state laws and regulations.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Duties of this position include performing the following duties:
- Direct, manage, and supervise the work activities of Lead Investigator and Special Investigators which includes staff scheduling (investigations and telecommunications) and maintenance of adequate shift coverage for a 24/7/365 staff.
- Indirectly supervise Laboratory Assistants serving in the telecommunications area, via the Lead Investigator.
- Conduct death investigations, applying fund of knowledge and skill. Interview, Hire and Train new staff in the technique of death investigation.
- Oversee, develop, and maintain investigation files and databases including unclaimed and unidentified remains.
- Coordinate identification efforts with police and families.
- Perform quality assurance for investigations response time, comprehensiveness, and report writing and conduct performance appraisals of staff.
- Maintain relationships with Funeral Directors to facilitate cremation review process. Assist in the development and coordination of OCME response to Mass Fatality Incidents.
- Attend various Mortality Review Meetings as they pertain to particular state agencies / subgroups (examples include Developmental Services, Department of Transportation, Suicide Awareness). Administer the Investigations Graduate Student Internship (for university credit) program, from application through to evaluation of interns. Provides data for and attends various Mortality Review Meetings as they pertain to particular state agencies / subgroups (examples include Developmental Services, Department of Transportation, Suicide Awareness). Assist in Statistical Reporting on Causes and Manners of Death.Assist with Accreditation reporting to the National Association of Medical Examiners (NAME).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of investigatory methods and techniques; considerable knowledge of relevant agency policies and procedures; considerable knowledge of relevant state laws and regulations; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable interviewing skills; ability to utilize computer software; supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years of investigatory experience in health care, insurance claims, law enforcement or a regulatory field.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Three (3) years of the General Experience must have been investigating complaints at the level of Special Investigator.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in law enforcement, health care or a closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling six (6) months of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in a closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
Preference will be given to applicants with the following:
- Considerable knowledge of investigatory methods and techniques
- Supervisory ability
- Teaching/training ability
- Considerable knowledge of relevant state laws and regulations
- Interpersonal skills
- Oral and written communication skills
- Interviewing skills
- Ability to utilize computer software to compile data and run statistical reports
- Training in mass fatality incident response
- Working knowledge of medical terminology
- Ability to review medical records
- Photographic knowledge
- Analytical skills as they relate to the forensic investigation process
- ABMDI (American Board of Medicolegal Death Investigation) certification
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
2 Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.