|Date Opened||5/10/2019 12:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$42,684 - $56,009/year|
|Job Type||Open to the Public|
|Close Date||5/20/2019 11:59:00 PM|
The State of Connecticut, Housatonic Community College, located in Bridgeport, CT, is looking to fill a Secretary 1 position in the Office of Academic Advising & Student Success. This is a full-time (40 hours per week, M-F, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm) position. The office is a heavy-trafficked area and the person needs to follow a Students-First based customer service model.
Under the direction of the Associate Dean or Directors, the Secretary will support the diverse needs of the department and students. He/she will be expected to:
• Supervise, control, and maintain front desk area while maintaining utmost amount of professionalism and office etiquette;
• work self-sufficiently and creatively while paying close attention to new patterns, trends, changes and inefficiencies recognized while managing area and keep Advising Team informed;
• bring new ideas to promote a positive front office environment and efficient ways of supporting students and staff.
• perform basic responsibilities related to academic advising and registration including:
* accepting paperwork on behalf of advisors (i.e. transcripts);
* maintaining calendars for appointment scheduling and event management;
* responding to office email and telephone inquiries;
* maintaining the availability of advising & student worksheets and office paperwork; and
* other duties as assigned.
Please ensure that your application is complete and your resume is included within the "Resume Tab" of your submission. Submissions without resumes will not be considered. Please Note: You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which supports their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include performance reviews, attendance, supervisory references, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. You do not have to attach these documents to your application submission.
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, HCC's Human Resources Department is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status of applications during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account. For all other inquiries, please contact Lydia Pizarro-Quesada, Acting Assistant Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: New state employees start at the minimum annual salary.
Incumbents perform a variety of secretarial duties as illustrated in the following areas:
1. TYPING: Using a personal computer or other electronic equipment formats and types a full range of correspondence, reports, bills, drafts, etc. from rough draft, transcription, dictated notes, etc.; proofreads for content; edits using knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
2. FILING: Designs office filing systems; organizes and maintains files (including confidential files); maintains, updates and reviews reference materials and manuals.
3. CORRESPONDENCE: Composes routine letters/memoranda, etc. (e.g. standard replies and acknowledgement letters) for supervisor's signature.
4. REPORT WRITING: Compiles information from standard sources and prepares data reports (e.g. number of forms processed during the month).
5. INTERPERSONAL: Greets and directs visitors; answers phones and takes messages; answers questions requiring knowledge of terminology, organization, supervisor's responsibilities, etc. (e.g. appropriate referrals, general purpose of the unit).
6. PROCESSING: Scans correspondence; pulls and attaches related materials; reviews, routes and prioritizes mail.
7. PERSONAL SECRETARY: Arranges and coordinates meetings (including space and equipment); writes minutes of meetings, lectures, conferences, etc. from rough draft; takes notes using shorthand, speedwriting or machine transcription prepares expense accounts; makes travel arrangements.
8. OFFICE MANAGEMENT: Maintains an inventory of supplies and equipment; orders supplies when necessary; completes, processes and maintains paperwork for purchasing (e.g. orders, requisitions, invoices, etc.); maintains time and attendance records; performs related duties as required.
Preference will be given to applicants who possess:
• Experience with maintaining schedules for a busy, multi-staffed office;
• Experience with front-end reception & providing excellent customer service;
• Possess pleasant telephone and reception demeanor;
• Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills;
• Ability to interact professionally with faculty, staff, and students;
• Ability to work independently, take initiative to complete tasks, and meet deadlines;
• Ability to manage difficult situations with tact and diplomacy;
• Ability to address and resolve issues of students in Higher Education;
• Ability to observe strict confidentiality; and
• Experience working in an educational setting including knowledge of Banner Student System and FERPA.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.