|Date Opened||5/10/2019 10:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$36,671 - $46,355/year|
|Job Type||Open to the Public|
|Close Date||5/20/2019 11:59:00 PM|
The State of Connecticut, Housatonic Community College, located in Bridgeport, CT, is looking to fill a Clerk Typist position in the Academic Support Center. Under the supervision of the Director, the Clerk Typist will be responsible for providing a full range of general clerical tasks supporting the diverse needs of the department and students. The Center is a heavy-trafficked area and the incumbent will be expected to follow a Students-First based customer service model. This is a full-time (40 hours per week, M-F, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm) position. Incumbent may be required to work some evenings and weekends.
Note: New state employees start at the minimum annual salary.
Please ensure that your application is complete and have included a resume within the "Resume Tab" of your application. Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening and must specify their qualifications on their application. IMPORTANT: Submissions without resumes will not be considered.
At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation such as performance reviews, attendance, supervisory references, etc., to support their candidacy for this position.
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, HCC's Human Resources Department is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account. For all other inquiries, please contact Lydia Pizarro-Quesada, Acting Assistant Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In a state agency, this class is accountable for performing a full range of general clerical functions including basic processing, reception, filing, record keeping, bookkeeping and typing.
1. TYPING: Using a typewriter, personal computer and other electronic equipment types a variety of materials from rough copy or electronic recording device including correspondence, memos, reports, forms, applications, bills and other documents and records with speed and accuracy; reviews and corrects drafts for conformance with originals; enters and retrieves data on personal computers and computer terminals.
2. FILING: Maintains logs; sets up and maintains records and files according to established procedures; (e.g. alpha, numeric or chronological order); searches files for information.
3. CORRESPONDENCE: Prepares and sends out standard form letters making minor revisions or additions.
4. REPORT WRITING: Compiles information from standard sources and prepares reports.
5. INTERPERSONAL: Answers phone, transfers calls and takes messages; receives and directs visitors; handles routine requests for information, procedural guidelines or assistance over the telephone or in person; (e.g. counter, reception and/or information desk).
6. PROCESSING: Receives, sorts and distributes mail; performs a variety of basic processing tasks (e.g., sorts, numbers, codes and files materials), reviews materials for accuracy and completeness (ensures categorical information is completed as required), makes changes per instructions or as authorized, verifies information through cross-referencing of existing computer and/or manual files or inquiries by phone or form letter to sender or other work units; does routine posting to ledgers, account books or other records; receives payments for licenses, bills, applications, fines and fees, etc.; prepares, totals and balances receipts; prepares cash transmittal/deposit slips; types and prepares purchase requisitions, orders or billing invoices according to established procedures; assists in or maintains inventory and orders supplies; performs related duties as required.
Knowledge of office procedures including proper telephone usage and filing; knowledge of spelling, punctuation and grammar; skill in typing a variety of materials; basic interpersonal skill; basic oral and written communication skills; basic skill in performing arithmetical computations; ability to operate office equipment which includes personal computers, computer terminals and other electronic equipment; ability to perform basic clerical tasks such as coding, sorting, alphabetizing and numeric ordering.
Preference will be given to those applicants who can effectively demonstrate the following in their submitted application:
• Experience using AccuTrack (or a similar scheduling software) for a busy, student-focused tutoring center
• Knowledge of the tutoring center’s services
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Experience working with a diverse population in an educational setting
• Ability to prioritize, communicate, and problem-solve, daily
• Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.