The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) invites qualified current State of Connecticut employees to apply for the position of Transportation Maintainer 4 (Bridge Maintenance) located in the Darien Bridge Maintenance Facility. This position is responsible for the performance of highly skilled tasks in either carpentry or masonry in the maintenance and repair of state bridges. The work hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., 37.5 hours per week.
Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed; mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30. Incumbents in this class will also be required to have a 30-mile residency from the job location.
Applicants invited to interview will be requested to supply a copy of their Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B, with Tank Endorsement, valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC), and a thoroughly completed Connecticut Department of Transportation Commercial Driver Supplement (CTDOT-CDL-1).
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has permanent state status*, hold a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) (A or B), with Tank endorsement, possess a valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC), and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening.
You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Michele Joyce at firstname.lastname@example.org
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for performing a variety of highly skilled tasks in the construction, maintenance and repair of State roadways, roadsides, bridges, airports and other departmental facilities; operates and maintains highly complex mechanical equipment; may serve as trainer.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
See attached addendum.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of the construction, maintenance and repair techniques of roadways, roadsides, bridges or airports; considerable knowledge of the processes and materials used in the construction and maintenance of highway and bridges or airports; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to operate skillfully and make ordinary repairs to highly complex mechanical equipment as listed on the attached addendum; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Three (3) years of experience in the construction, maintenance and repair of roadways, roadsides, bridges or airports, in work involving the operation and care of mechanical equipment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been in the operation of complex equipment or the performance of skilled tasks.
Note: For State Employees this is interpreted at the level of Transportation Maintainer 3.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of the subject requirements in one of the maintenance trades may be substituted for two (2) years of the General Experience.
Experience / skill in performing highly skilled tasks in either carpentry or masonry.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal whenever his or her services are needed.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.