The mission of the State of Connecticut Office of the State Comptroller (OSC) is to provide accounting and financial services, to administer employee and retiree benefits, to develop accounting policy and exercise accounting oversight, and to prepare financial reports for state, federal and municipal governments and the public.
Do you have a proven background in application development with Oracle and would like a challenge while working with a creative team?
Are you an expert in performing complex database monitoring while working for the OSC?
If so, discover this opportunity to join OSC's IT division. We are recruiting for a full-time forty (40) hours per week Information Technology Subject Matter Expert.
Great for all commuters, we are located in Hartford, at 55 Farmington Avenue!
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee of the Office of the State Comptroller, who has permanent state status*, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
Candidates must meet the minimum qualifications for General Experience and Special Experience as indicated to apply for this position. State employees currently holding the above title or those who have previously attained permanent status in the class may apply for a lateral transfer.
Special Requirement: Incumbents in this class may be required to travel. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
All applicants must include a resume within the “Resume Tab” of their application.
At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, attendance records etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATION PACKAGES AND THOSE RECEIVED AFTER THE CLOSING DATE INDICATED ABOVE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Questions about these required documents should be directed to the hiring agency's human resources office: Bonnie.Schlechtweg@ct.gov or (860) 702-3323.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency supporting a highly complex Information Technology (IT) environment this class is accountable for functioning as a Subject Matter Expert in one of the following functional IT areas: networking, security, systems development, systems programming or database administration. This class also provides technical leadership and consultation in the areas of architecture, application design, systems programming, system integration, and/or database management OR the analysis, development and operational support of highly complex technologies affecting multiple infrastructure areas.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Responsible for the design, implementation and configuration of Oracle databases and related technologies;
- Responsible for system tuning and configuration to obtain optimal performance;
- Performs SQL tuning and data analysis as required to assist PeopleSoft developers and functional teams;
- Configures and maintains monitoring scripts, Oracle Enterprise Manger and related monitoring tools;
- Preserve and support the Oracle data guard configurations and disaster recovery procedures and documentation;
- Tests and applies Oracle software updates, patches and new releases;
- Takes part in the development of architectural designs of complex database clusters;
- Participates in the definition of data architecture standards and policies;
- Develops and maintains system and application architecture diagrams; recommends new tools and technologies;
- Leads Oracle backup processes and performs database cloning activities as required;
- Assists in the design and construction of OLTP systems, databased and data warehouse/BI data stores; performs other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of current methods of information systems analysis, design and development; considerable knowledge of principles, practices and techniques of information technology; considerable knowledge of applications systems development principles, techniques and development; considerable knowledge of principles and techniques of computer programming and languages; considerable knowledge of principles and theories of business planning functions; considerable knowledge of project management principles and techniques; considerable knowledge of principles and techniques of systems analysis and design; considerable knowledge of computer operating systems and databases; considerable knowledge of business re-engineering process; considerable knowledge of principles of data modeling and related tools; considerable knowledge of distributed systems architecture, network, middleware and object oriented analysis; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable analytical and problem solving skills; considerable ability to develop and implement system security and disaster recovery plans; considerable ability to identify, analyze and resolve highly complex business and technical problems; considerable ability to conduct highly complex detailed analysis and design of major computer systems and networks; considerable ability to develop reports, manuals and documentation.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Nine (9) years of experience in infrastructure systems support, programming, database administration, systems/software development, networking or technical support.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been performing advanced technical level duties or as a working supervisor in one of the following areas:
1. Designing, configuring and implementing complex networks.
2. Configuring, installing and upgrading host based applications packages and host and/or operating system software.
3. System software/application development.
NOTE: For state employees this is interpreted at the level of Information Technology Analyst 3.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in management information systems, computer science or information technology related area may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equaling six (6) months of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in management information systems, computer science or electrical engineering may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Expertise in Oracle11gR2 or Oracle 12c RAC or Exadata environment.
- DBA administration support in at least one of the following Oracle/PeopleSoft environments: HRMS 9.2+, Financials 9.2+, EPM 9.1+, Portal/Integration Hub, CRM 9.2, OBIEE 11g or higher.
- Knowledgeable in the installation, configuration and testing of fixes and performing upgrades to an Oracle Database cluster environment.
- In-depth knowledge of Oracle databases with strong system level (Linux) and infrastructure background.
- Expertise with advanced Oracle database infrastructure technologies including Real Application Clusters (RAC), Cluster Ready Services (CRS), Automatic Storage Management (ASM), Data Partitioning, Data Compression and Oracle DataGuard.
- Expertise in database backup and recovery, exports, imports, cloning and database refreshes. Experience with RMAN.
- Experience with database capacity planning.
- Experience with complex database performance monitoring, tuning and optimization.
- Expertise configuring, testing and handling DataGuard instances.
- Expertise with UNIX scripting.
- Experience installing and maintaining Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM).
- Excellent oral and written interpersonal skills.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities. If you are requesting special accommodations under the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) please contact Bonnie Schlechtweg at 860-702-3323 or Bonnie.Schlechtweg@ct.gov.