The State of Connecticut, Department of Social Services, is recruiting for an Equal Employment Opportunity Assistant with the Affirmative Action Division located in our Central Office, Monday-Friday, 40 hour work week.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current employee of the Department of Social Services, who has permanent state status, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
Candidates selected for interview must bring the following at the time of interview:
- Two (2) most recent service ratings
- Attendance records for the last two (2) years
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Ronnell Young at Ronnel.Young@ct.gov, 860-424-5691.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing paraprofessional duties relating to equal employment opportunity, contract compliance and other employee or client/student rights programs.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Assists in collection of data required for preparation of affirmative action plans; maintains data and develops affirmative action information reports for statistical analysis and other reports; assists in development of outreach/recruitment sources; establishes contacts with sources and coordinates recruitment efforts such as dissemination of job announcements and recruitment fairs; provides staff information regarding policies and procedures; provides staff with information on upward mobility paths and career progression; assists Equal Employment Opportunity professionals with special projects; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of affirmative action plans and outreach initiatives; some knowledge of relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; basic mathematical skills; ability to work with organizations for outreach/recruitment; ability to research and compile statistical data; ability to utilize human resource information systems; ability to research and analyze human resource files.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Five (5) years of clerical experience in affirmation action, equal opportunity assurance or human resources management.
Note: For state employees clerical experience is interpreted at the level of Office Assistant.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equaling six (6) months of experience to a maximum of two (2) years.
• Some familiarity with affirmative action laws and regulations both state and federal.
• Experience and sensitivity interacting with the public and employees
• Experience with computer systems, programs, ability to maintain data bases and accurately input large volumes of information
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
2. In accordance with Connecticut General Statute, incumbents in this class must complete five (5) hours of training during the first year of service or designation and a minimum of three (3) hours biannually thereafter. This training shall include (1) state and federal discrimination laws and (2) internal discrimination investigation techniques which will be provided by the Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities and the Permanent Commission on the Status of Women.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.