Black Rock State Park
|Date Opened||3/9/2018 12:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$10.10 - 14.00 per hour|
|Job Type||Open to the Public|
|Close Date||7/31/2018 11:59:00 PM|
Black Rock State Park offers excellent swimming, camping, hiking, scenic views, and Indian legend all tucked into the scenic rolling hills of the Western Highlands. Steep, wooded ledges covered with pine, hemlock and oak provide the setting for Black Rock Pond.
DEEP, Bureau of Outdoor Recreation, State Parks Division, Lifeguard Program, Black Rock State Park, Watertown, CT, has multiple opportunities for Lifeguards.
Any inquiries regarding the status of your application for this park’s positions must be made directly to the individual park, John.Hine@ct.gov.
Lifeguards act as primary visitor contacts, interacting with the public to assist them in the safe and orderly enjoyment of the Park. Lifeguards monitor activities in swimming areas to prevent accidents and provide assistance to swimmers.
Work Location: Outside at the designated swimming area at Black Rock State Park.
Hours of work: are 10 am to 6 pm, typically five days per week for a total of 40 hours. Weekends and holidays are mandatory.
Pay rate is: $10.10-14.00/hr depending on position and relevant experience.
Length of positions: Memorial Day through Labor Day.
These positions are non-competitive. Open to the public.
Selected candidates must be fluent in English and be at least 16 years old.
Selected candidates must possess and maintain adequate physical flexibility, strength and stamina to perform the duties (including work outside in inclement weather, work outside for extended periods), and work well with other staff and members of the public.
Acts as primary visitor contact, interacting with the public to assist them in the safe and orderly enjoyment of the Park. Monitors activities in swimming areas to prevent accidents and provide assistance to swimmers at State of Connecticut State Park Waterfronts; cautions swimmers regarding unsafe areas; maintains order in swimming areas; rescues swimmers in danger of drowning and administers first aid and/or cardiopulmonary resuscitation as required; instructs patrons in water safety; participates in physical and rescue skills training; performs general maintenance tasks, including beach cleaning, as assigned; performs related duties as required.
Preferred applicants will be able to work full-time for the entire summer, work well in a team, and already possess American Red Cross Lifeguard certification with the Waterfront Module.
If you do not already possess this certification we may certify you if you can successfully demonstrate the following American Red Cross Waterfront Module skills:
1. Swim 550 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. (Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles are allowed.)
2. Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. (Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.)
3. Complete the following timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds: · Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. (The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.)
· Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
· Return to the surface and swim 20 yards to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. (Candidates should not swim the distance under water.)
· Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
4. Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4 to 7 feet of water, resurface and continue to swim another 5 yards to complete the skill sequence.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.