Middlesex Community College is currently seeking applicants for a Skilled Maintainer position. This position is located in Middletown. This is a full time, 37.5 hour per week position. The work schedule is Monday-Friday 7:30am - 3:30 pm.
Applicants are required to upload a resume with their submission. (Note: In order to upload documents you must ensure that your internet browser's 'pop-up' blocker is off. Failure to do so may prevent you from being able to upload documentation and submit your application.) For applicants who are current State Employees, your last two performance evaluations will be requested later in the hiring process if selected to advance. Questions about these required documents should be directed to the hiring agency's human resources office: Noreen Wilson, firstname.lastname@example.org
, (860) 343-5705.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing one or more tasks of a skilled nature (requiring prior experience or training, below the level of a specialized trades worker which would give the incumbent proficiency in required knowledges, skills and abilities on the first day of the job) in addition to performing lower level duties. Only complex tasks should be learned on the job. Tasks performed will be in one or several of the following areas:
1. Building and equipment maintenance (operational and remedial) including the operation of trucks of 5 ton or greater capacity or complex motorized equipment.
2. Grounds care as a supervisor and/or specialized landscaping functions.
3. Assists Qualified Craft Workers or other higher level employees in the trades areas.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
See attached addendum.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of methods, tools, equipment, materials and procedures of specific trade or work area concerned; some knowledge of maintenance problems and their proper handling; skill in manual and machine operations of trade or work area; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to follow written and oral instructions; some ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in one of the following areas:
1. One of the skilled trades
2. Landscape maintenance or vegetable gardening
3. Operation of motor trucks or large buses.
The experience area should reflect the needs of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of subject requirements in a maintenance trade area may be substituted for the General Experience.
Applicants who demonstrate experience with large scale lawn maintenance and snow removal operations will receive preference.
Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
This is considered an essential position and incumbent will be required to perform snow removal duties.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights and may be exposed to significant levels of dust, heat, noise, extreme weather conditions and risk of injury from equipment and assaultive and/or abusive patients and/or clients.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.