The State of Connecticut
, Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP
), is currently recruiting for a Seasonal Resource Assistant. The Resource Assistant will help with two CT DEEP State Parks Programs– the No Child Left Inside® Program and the Sky’s The Limit Hiking Challenge Program.
DEEP is charged with conserving, improving and protecting the natural resources and the environment of the State of Connecticut as well as making cheaper, cleaner and more reliable energy available for the people and businesses of the state. The agency is also committed to playing a positive role in rebuilding Connecticut's economy and creating jobs and to fostering a sustainable and prosperous economic future for the state.
- This position requires work on weekends and some evenings; the willingness to travel to various CT state parks and forests; a background in environmental education or natural resources conservation is helpful; excellent communication and customer service skills; ability to work with diverse audiences that are attending programs and events; as well as a strong work ethic and love of the outdoors.
- Length of position: flexible start/end dates of February through August/September end date – work runs through the summer recreation season and into the fall; anticipated duration is a maximum of 1040.
These positions are non-competitive. Open to the public.
- Selected candidates must be fluent in English, be at least 18 years old and possess a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close of date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Selected candidates must possess and maintain adequate physical flexibility, strength and stamina to perform the duties and work well with other staff and members of the public.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
All state employees shall follow Executive Order 13G
(as amended by Executive Order 14C
Please ensure your application is complete prior to submission. You will be unable to make revisions once you officially submit your application to the State of Connecticut.
The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applicants to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Questions about this position should be directed to Kristen Bellantuono at firstname.lastname@example.org, 860-424-3917.
For technical support regarding the filing of your application in JobAps, may be directed to Erica McGuinness at email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, as a limited duration employee, performs one or more of a variety of tasks and assigned duties of a seasonal nature.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
The Seasonal Resource Assistant will help with two outdoor CT DEEP State Parks Programs– the No Child Left Inside® Program and the Sky’s The Limit Hiking Challenge Program.
- No Child Left Inside®: Great Park Pursuit-The No Child Left Inside® initiative provides the necessary opportunity for children to unplug from technology and unearth the vast opportunities that Connecticut’s State Parks and Forests have to offer. As a part of this initiative, during the summer months and into the fall, the Great Park Pursuit Family Adventure Program takes place. This Program has registered teams visiting different state parks and forests for hands-on programs, activities and demonstrations. At each event there are activities, walks, talks, games, etc., all centered around a specific environmental theme.
- Seasonal Resource Assistant will assist by providing office/field support to the No Child Left Inside® Coordinator (NCLI). Seasonal Resource Assistant will help develop/present thematic environmental programs, create presentations, create content and social media postings for State Parks and Great Park Pursuit (GPP) Events; track ongoing attendance at park programs, compile short videos, take photographs, and assist with special projects, as needed. Visit https://portal.ct.gov/ncli for information regarding the No Child Left Inside® and the Great Park Pursuit Program.
- The Sky’s the Limit Hiking Challenge was designed to promote hiking and walking in CT’s State Parks and Forests. Participants in this friendly competition have the opportunity to challenge family, friends, co-workers and neighbors to get outside and explore nature while out on the trails.
- Seasonal Resource Assistant should enjoy being outdoors and walking/hiking; and have a willingness to travel to various CT State Parks and Forests to visit/hike trails. Seasonal Resource Assistant will assist DEEP staff with visiting various trails across the state as well as with the administrative side of this program. Visit https://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=561864&deepNav_GID=1650 for information regarding the Sky’s the Limit Hiking Challenge.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Ability to follow instructions.
1. Incumbents in this class who are assigned as supervisors of small recreational units will perform emergency first aid as needed and will be required to obtain and retain a Basic First Aid Certificate.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required for certain positions to meet any of the following:
a. Proof of possession of a valid Motor Vehicle Operator license.
b. Possession of a valid license to apply pesticides.
c. College training in a specific field.
d. Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification may be required by specific State facilities.
3. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must have and retain an American Red Cross (ARC) Lifeguarding Certification (includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Basic First Aid). An EMT or MRT certification may be substituted for the CPR and First Aid requirements.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain adequate physical strength and stamina to perform the duties of the class.
2. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must be able to demonstrate American Red Cross (ARC) waterfront lifeguarding swimming skills.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.