Old Lyme, CT
|Date Opened||3/16/2020 2:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$51,400 - $72,989/year|
|Job Type||Open to the Public|
|Close Date||4/5/2020 11:59:00 PM|
The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) is charged with conserving, improving and protecting the natural resources and the environment of the state of Connecticut as well as making cheaper, cleaner and more reliable energy available for the people and businesses of the state. The agency is also committed to playing a positive role in rebuilding Connecticut’s economy and creating jobs – and to fostering a sustainable and prosperous economic future for the state.
The Bureau of Outdoor Recreation consists of the Divisions of Boating, State Parks & Public Outreach, and State Environmental Conservation Police. Together they administer the state’s outdoor recreation programs and provide for the enforcement of fish and game regulations and boating laws.
The Boating Division currently has an opening for an Environmental Analyst 1 located in Old Lyme, CT. This is full-time (35 hours) position, typically Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 4:00 pm.
DEEP is seeking an enthusiastic and outgoing person to fill a role in a fast-paced environment. This position will be assigned to the Boating Division’s Education and Outreach program. This section is responsible for boating education, outreach and communication activities that support the efforts of the division.
State of Connecticut employees participate in a competitive benefits plan that includes a comprehensive health and retirement package.
Applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application.
Questions about this position should be directed to the hiring agency's Human Resources office: DEEP.HumanResources@ct.gov or (860) 424-3006.
This position is competitive and open to the public.
The selected candidate must possess a valid driver's license. Possession of either a Connecticut Safe Boating Certificate or US Coast Guard License is a plus.
Assists in developing departmental, statewide or local environmental plans and programs; assists in research, collection and analysis of resources, data and educational materials; assists in review and analysis of proposed projects for consistency with policies, statutes and environmental impact; assists in coordinating data base maintenance and disseminating information; assists in drafting new regulations, statutes, guidelines and other written materials; assists in formulating policy options; assists in providing technical consultation to local, regional, state, federal officials and the public; assists in coordinating federal grant-in-aid programs and preparing related documentation; assists in developing enforcement actions and reports; assists in reviewing and developing recommendations on environmental permit requests; prepares environmental permit applications; assists in developing and implementing environmental and leisure services education programs; assists in preparing environmental impact statements and recommendations for corrective actions and/or alternatives; may assist in conducting site investigations; may assist in preparing publications and guidelines on environmental protection, natural resource education and economic development issues; may prepare enforcement actions; may serve as department representative on regulatory and advisory boards and/or committees; may serve as legislative liaison; performs related duties as required
Specific job duties related to this position will include but not be limited to:
• Develop, plan and implement DEEP’s boating safety outreach and communication strategy including press releases, public service announcements, website and social media content, informational brochures, fact sheets, news articles, and desktop publishing
• Analyze data regarding boating accidents, vessel registration, education, and boater demographics
• Coordinate annual production of DEEP’s Boater’s Guide including content, layout, and review
• Participate in boating safety media affairs, meetings, and outreach events
• Conduct on-water educational outreach by engaging boaters in safety discussions
• Coordinate with state and federal partners on boating safety issues
• Assist with boating education classes
• Assist with public inquiries through in-person, phone, and email interactions
1. College training in a scientific or technical discipline related to the environmental field including but not limited to biological, earth, or physical sciences; environmental planning; environmental law; economics; leisure services; geographic information systems; geography with a concentration in geographic information systems; natural sciences; natural resources may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in a scientific or technical discipline related to the environmental field including but not limited to biological, earth, physical sciences; environmental planning; environmental law; economics; leisure services; geographic information systems; geography with a concentration in geographic information systems; natural sciences; natural resources may be substituted for five (5) years of the General Experience.
Note: Education may only be substituted for a total of five (5) years.
3. For State Employees one (1) year of experience as an Environmental Intern or Environmental Compliance Specialist 2 may be substituted for the General Experience.
· Knowledge of on-water recreation and boating safety laws as demonstrated through education, training or experience.
· Experience with paddling or small boat handling.
· Experience planning, preparing and executing a variety of communication responsibilities such as press releases, public service announcements, website content, social media content, publications, posters, and news articles.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Excellent interpersonal skills.
· Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize and track multiple tasks
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.