The State of Connecticut, Department of Children and Families (DCF) is currently recruiting for Drivers (Maintainer -Driver/Equipment Operator). These positions are full-time, 37.5 hours per week and will be responsible for the safe transportation of children and families served by the Department. These positions cover statewide transportation routes with central dispatching based in Middletown, CT.
Schedules will be based on operational needs and will include non-standard start and end times, holidays and weekends. Travel is required.
Applicants must possess and maintain a Connecticut Public Passenger Endorsement License and have a satisfactory motor vehicle driving record.
*The entry level rate for this class will be ten (10%) percent below Step 1 of the salary grade. Upon completion of the initial working test period the incumbent's salary will be adjusted to the TC or FM pay plan, Step 1 of the salary grade for this class.
- Applicants invited to interview may be required to submit additional documentation, which supports their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: Licensure, performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience most closely meets the preferred requirements of the position. Please ensure that your application is complete and it includes how your experience meets the preferred qualification as listed in this posting.
- At time of appointment incumbents must possess a Connecticut Public Passenger Endorsement License and a satisfactory motor vehicle driving record.
- Candidates will be required to successfully pass an extensive background check to include State Police check, Federal background (fingerprint), pre-employment physical, drug screen, DMV check and TB Test.
- Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
Should you have question pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Lorna Reid at Lorna.Reid@ct.gov; 860-550-6504.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing duties a substantial amount of time (75%) in one or both of the following areas:
- patient/client transportation
- grounds care (outside services) equipment operation
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Transportation of children and/or special needs populations
- Record keeping such as logging information, creating and maintaining basic reports such as mileage reports
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to operate equipment and vehicles used in daily work; ability to learn policies and procedures; ability to operate, care for and perform minor maintenance on tools and equipment used in daily work; some ability in simple recordkeeping.
Any experience and training which provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working with and/or in the transportation of children and special needs populations
- Experience with basic record keeping such as logging information
- Experience creating and maintaining basic reports such as mileage reports
- Experience writing incident reports
Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility, visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to extreme weather conditions and risk of injury from equipment and assaultive and/or abusive patients and/or clients.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.