American Shad and Sturgeon Projects
Old Lyme, CT
|Date Opened||1/14/2020 10:25:00 AM|
|Close Date||5/31/2020 11:59:00 PM|
At the State of Connecticut, Department of Energy & Environmental Protection (DEEP), we are dedicated to conserving, improving and protecting our natural resources and the environment and increasing the availability of cheaper, cleaner and more reliable energy. The mission of the Bureau of Natural Resources (BNR) is to conserve and enhance Connecticut’s fish, wildlife and forest resources and to enhance opportunities for public use and appreciation. BNR is charged with managing the state’s natural resources (particularly fish, wildlife, and forests) through a program of regulation, management, research, and public education.
BNR's Fisheries Division has a current opportunity for a Seasonal Resource Assistant for the American Shad and Sturgeon Projects. This position will assist in the conducting of a variety of field, laboratory and office work. This position provides an opportunity for practical experience in fisheries monitoring, data collection, and lab processing techniques.
The project location is based out of DEEP Marine Headquarters in Old Lyme, CT, and the employee would be expected to drive to Old Lyme each workday for office work or field work.
Salary: Pay rate is $11-14/hr. depending on relevant education and experience. No benefits.
Length of position: anticipated start dates are early to mid-April and early to mid-May.
Duration: anticipated duration is 1030 hours; non-contractual.
Note: Do not submit a cover letter. Applicants must only include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application.
Any inquiries regarding the status of your application for this position must be made directly to: Jacque Benway (firstname.lastname@example.org)
This position is non-competitive. Open to the public.
The selected candidate must be fluent in English and be at least 18 years old.
The selected candidate must possess and maintain adequate physical flexibility, strength and stamina to perform the duties (including work outside in inclement weather, work outside for extended periods), and work well with other staff and members of the public.
The selected candidate must be able to lift & move 50 lbs., deploy and haul fishing gear in various hydrographic conditions, embark/disembark unassisted from an anchored vessel into waist deep water, work outside in inclement weather, work outside for extended periods, and work well with others
Preferred applicants will be able to work full-time for the full six month duration of the position and have related experience or training.
Other preferred qualifications include:
· actively pursuing or have recently completed a college degree in the biological sciences with coursework in fisheries or a related field; degree is preferred but not required
· proficiency in fish identification and use of dichotomous keys
· proficiency in use of Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft Access proficiency in data entry and quality assurance/control procedures
· experience with fishing, boating, and boat trailering
· experience with field data collection techniques
· experience in fish ageing techniques and protocols
1. Incumbents in this class who are assigned as supervisors of small recreational units will perform emergency first aid as needed and will be required to obtain and retain a Basic First Aid Certificate.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required for certain positions to meet any of the following:
a. Proof of possession of a valid Motor Vehicle Operator license.
b. Possession of a valid license to apply pesticides.
c. College training in a specific field.
d. Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification may be required by specific State facilities.
3. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must have and retain an American Red Cross (ARC) Lifeguarding Certification (includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Basic First Aid). An EMT or MRT certification may be substituted for the CPR and First Aid requirements.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain adequate physical strength and stamina to perform the duties of the class.
2. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must be able to demonstrate American Red Cross (ARC) waterfront lifeguarding swimming skills.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.