|Date Opened||12/2/2019 10:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$93,093 - $119,596/year (Individuals new to state service start at minimum of the pay plan)|
|Job Type||Open to the Public|
|Close Date||12/23/2019 11:59:00 PM|
The State of CT Connecticut is a leader in the coordination of early childhood programs throughout the country. The Office of Early Childhood (OEC) coordinates the delivery of early childhood services for the state’s youngest residents; including early care and education, home visiting, developmental support, and program and provider development. We are an agency, making a difference in the lives of the state’s youngest residents. We believe in ensuring all children are safe, healthy, learning and thriving, and we need a hard-working, solutions-oriented professional to join our growing technology team.
We are recruiting for two (2), full-time, Software Engineers to join our growing technology division. The OEC is looking to build modern, user friendly, customer-centric applications to support our six divisions and the members of the public we serve. Technical growth is crucial to IT culture of the OEC, and in this position, you will be part of a newly formed team with growth potential.
This development role would be at the ground floor and have direct influence over the foundational design and strategic execution of this evolving IT business unit. You will be involved in the entire software life cycle of our projects, application designs, UI/UX designs, data structures, web services, application security and unit testing. In the Technology Division, you can expect to work with state partners and contractors to develop new digital solutions for challenging questions in the agency and create opportunities for colleagues to use data and information in a dynamic way. The Technology Division maintains and innovates on the existing information systems and find ways to make the systems work for the agency.
The successful candidate will:
• Partner with internal stakeholders ensuring applications designed are developed fulfill the business’s needs.
• Analyze systems specifications of new and existing applications to determine requirements.
• Create technical specifications from business requirements/business specifications.
• Define detailed development tasks, task dependencies and estimates to complete work.
• Consult and/or participate in the requirements, design and coding walkthroughs to ensure the development of quality solutions.
• Design, code, debug, test via unit testing, and integrate software application solutions while ensuring all designs are consistent with agency coding and security standards.
• Prepare and/or generate test data.
• Document programs and procedures
• Proactively identify problems and presents/develops solutions
• Investigate and resolve increasingly complex problems including providing support for production systems in a timely manner.
• Contribute to ongoing professional development for the entire team.
Other duties may include:
• Monitoring technology trends, and incorporating new tools and development practices
• Collaborating with external development teams and industry partners
• Reviewing and providing feedback on vendor and third-party design standards/specifications while vetting new integration partners
• Determining how existing applications, systems, databases, interfaces and/or hardware can interact to meet new and emerging enterprise initiatives.
We are looking for YOU, if:
The OEC is a proud supporter of the state's Telework Program and provides flexible work schedule options to its employees.
All applicants must include a name within the "Resume Tab" of their application with their submission. If you are slected for an interview, it is at that time you will need to provide a Resume, Cover Letter and documentation regarding job performance reviews for the current year and past two (2 years. The same requirement would apply for positions which require certification/licensure.
Updates of this recruitment will be provided through your JobAps portal account. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. For all other inquiries, please contact Ellen Morris, email@example.com, 860-713-6670.
All Functional Areas: Diagnoses host system problems and develops and coordinates resolutions; manages planning, analysis, design, selection, installation and implementation of new technologies; evaluates new technologies; tests and evaluates new hardware and/or software; makes recommendations for hardware and/or software purchases; determines interface and utility requirements and creates design specifications; acts as liaison to hardware and/or software vendors, system developers, programmers and management; develops and implements network and system security guidelines; makes recommendations for migration and upgrade directions; trains operators, systems developers and users on new procedures; conducts system performance analysis, tuning or storage management; conducts technical training programs for IT staff; acts as project coordinator overseeing other technical staff and support personnel; plans, coordinates and directs multiple projects of assigned staff; reviews work of assigned personnel; calculates project time and cost estimates; prepares necessary procedural specifications to meet design requirements; arranges necessary hardware and software availability; oversees hardware and software vendors; manages project budgets and schedules; reviews work of assigned Information Technology Analysts and serves as consultant and/or troubleshooter; reviews documentation work of assigned staff; communicates with business owners and management; facilitates meetings; assists in development of information technology policies, procedures and standards; participates in Request for Proposal (RFP) process; implements disaster recovery plans, assists in determining critical applications and personnel, or ensures offsite backups; defines data flow; performs related duties as required.
Working Supervisor Use: Plans unit workflow and determines priorities; schedules, assigns, oversees, and reviews work; establishes and maintains unit procedures; provides staff training and assistance; conducts or assists in conducting performance evaluations; acts as liaison with operating units, agencies, and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; make recommendations on policies or standards; prepare reports and correspondence; performs related duties as required.
Systems Programming: Performs the most complex duties related to application development; develops and implements system programming standards; configures and installs host-based application packages; maintains host operating systems; installs and upgrades host and/or Front End Processor (FEP) operating system software; performs other related duties as required.
Software Development: Configures and installs host-based application packages; analyzes upgrades for complex applications to determine functionality and necessary software customization; writes program specifications and systems specifications; designs forms, screens and reports; performs related duties as required.
Database Administration: Provides advanced level database support and troubleshooting; designs, installs, tunes and maintains integrity of major host-based database; leads integration efforts, transitioning applications to new technology; performs related duties as required.
Network Support: Designs and implements complex communications networks; diagnoses and resolves problems using network management systems and utilities; performs related duties as required.
IT Security: Develops, tests and maintains agency disaster recovery plans designed to restore IT system operability; develops process and procedures in support of IT Business Continuity Planning; conducts platform recoverability assessments and Business Impact Analysis (BIA) to determine and assess the impacts associated with disruptions to business functions; conduct risk analysis of IT environments by assessing administrative, technical and physical safeguards; performs IT investigations to include maintaining chain of custody procedures; performs forensics and documents detailed reports of findings; performs related duties as required.
1. College training in management information systems, computer science or information technology related area may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equaling six (6) months of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in management information systems, computer science or electrical engineering may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
Preference will be given to applicants with the following experience and training:
• Strong knowledge of a high-level abstraction programming language required (.Net C# Preferred)
• Strong SQL experience required
• Strong responsive UI experience using frameworks such as Bootstrap, JQuery, Angular, among others
• Web services and RESTful services are highly desired
Knowledge of distributed systems and RESTful micro-services and of cloud based infrastructures helpful.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.