The State of Connecticut, Department of Administrative Services (DAS) Fleet Operations Division is currently accepting applications for a Qualified Craft Worker (Auto and Mechanical Equipment). The Qualified Craft Worker will be accountable for performing the most complex repairs and maintenance on a variety of State owned vehicles. Candidates must possess and maintain a valid CT driver’s license.
This is a full-time (37.5 hours) per week position. The work schedule is Monday through Friday 7:30am to 3:30pm, located at 60 State Street, Wethersfield, CT 06109
All applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application. Candidates who do not submit required documents listed above or submit your application accurately and on time, will not be considered for this employment opportunity.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation such as performance reviews, attendance, supervisory references, etc., to support their candidacy for this position.
Should you have questions pertaining to any phase of this recruitment, please contact DAS's Human Resources: Belinda.Rivera2@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency, this class is accountable for performing a full range of highly skilled duties in one of the following trade areas: electrical, plumbing and steamfitting, utilities or heating, ventilation and refrigeration.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs highly skilled maintenance and/or construction work requiring application of trade skills, codes and standard trade practices in electrical, plumbing, utilities, or HVACR trade areas; makes estimates of time, personnel and determines and obtains required materials; keeps necessary records; may perform duties related to similar trade areas as required; may act as liaison with other operating units and outside contacts; may operate heavy equipment; may respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations at state owned airports; performs related duties as required.
AUTOMOTIVE AND MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT: Diagnoses failure in all types of automotive and heavy mobile equipment; services, dismantles, overhauls and reassembles front ends, engines, standard and automatic transmissions, rear ends, hydraulic systems and automotive electrical systems; constructs and repairs any needed parts; welds or brazes parts by oxyacetylene torch or electric welding; may operate testing equipment required to diagnose automotive electronic components.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply standard tools, materials, methods and practices of the particular trade; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare estimates and keep shop records; some ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Four (4) years of experience in the particular trade area indicated by the parenthetical title.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been performing skilled trade functions in the specific trade area.
Note: For State Employees, this is interpreted at the level of Skilled Maintainer or Transportation Maintainer 2.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of subject requirements in a maintenance trade area may be substituted for two (2) years of the General Experience.
2. Two (2) years of experience as a Qualified Craft Worker Intern in a designated maintenance trade area may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
3. Experience performing technical duties within a designated maintenance trade area on a military base, aircraft carrier or large compound may be substituted for the General and Special Experience on a year for year basis.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience working in a light-duty automotive dealership or a light-duty automotive repair shop;
- Have experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles and light-duty trucks;
- Possess Automotive Service Excellence Certification (A4) Suspension and Steering;
- Possess Automotive Service Excellence Certification (A5) Brakes;
- Possess Automotive Service Excellence Certification (A8) Engine Performance;
- Certifications from a major manufacturer’s training program (Suspension and Steering; Brakes; Engine Performance) may be substituted for the corresponding Automotive Service Excellence Certification
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications including possession and retention of an Unlimited Journeyperson's license in the trade area indicated by the parenthetical title.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain specific education and/or experience to meet various certification requirements.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties of the class.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights and to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles; and may be exposed to risk of injury from equipment, extreme weather conditions and/or environmental conditions.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.