The State of Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is recruiting statewide for a Supervising Accounts Examiner position. This is a full time (Monday through Friday) position located in Wethersfield, CT.
All applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application with their submission. Please Note: You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact DMV Human Resources at (860)263-5268.
This position will be filled in accordance with reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has permanent state status* and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
Applicants invited to interview may be required to submit additional documentation, which supports their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before individuals are certified for appointment.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a State agency, this class is accountable for supervising an accounts examination unit or function.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Schedules, assigns, oversees, and reviews the work of staff; provides staff training and assistance; conducts performance evaluations; determines priorities and plans unit work; establishes and maintains unit procedures; develops or make recommendations on the development of policies and standards; acts as liaison with other operating units, agencies, and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; prepares reports and correspondence; reviews audit reports for conformance with policies and regulations; may conduct hearings or conferences with those audited; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of relevant agency policies and procedures; considerable knowledge of and ability to apply relevant State and federal laws, statutes, and regulations; considerable knowledge of professional accounting and auditing principles and practices; considerable knowledge of governmental and commercial accounting; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to analyze and evaluate accounting procedures; considerable ability to analyze financial records, documents, and reports; ability to prepare comprehensive reports; supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Eight (8) years of experience in accounting or auditing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been performing the most complex accounting function or acting in a lead or consultative capacity at or above the level of Associate Accountant or Associate Accounts Examiner.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in Accounting or a closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree
2. A Master's degree in Accounting may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience
3. Certification in any of the following may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience: Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Experience with internal auditing, including operational, performance, and compliance audit programs;
- Experience using data analytics techniques to identify anomalies;
- Experience as a team lead, including staff development;
- Strong Interpersonal skills;
- Decision making and problem solving-ability to identify and understand issues, problems and opportunities while working under pressure and navigating tense situations;
- Ability to communicate audit objectives to upper management and all stakeholders;
- Ability to create a collaborative work environment across departments within agency;
- Experience interpreting statutes and regulations.
Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.