North Stonington, CT
|Date Opened||9/18/2019 12:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$10.10 - $12.00/hour|
|Close Date||12/31/2019 11:59:00 PM|
Did you know there are more than 4,000 attractions, restaurants, hotels, motels and B&Bs in Connecticut? Are you a friendly and outgoing person who enjoys helping a diverse group of people?
If so, the State of Connecticut, Department of Economic & Community Development (DECD) invites you to join our team as a Tourist Information Clerk at one of our six (6) Visitor Information Centers (Welcome Centers) located in Danbury, Darien, Greenwich, North Stonington, Westbrook, and West Willington. These are six (6) month assignments during the 2019 summer and fall seasons. There are several opportunities; each position is 40 hours per week, on either first or second shift, and will require weekend work. Individual work schedules will be determined by the Supervisor of the Welcome Centers.
The Welcome Centers are located on major highways in Connecticut and offer a welcome place to rest, get refreshed, and find map and brochures that will point travelers to some of the great attractions of Connecticut, like the family-friendly Mystic Seaport and the many other places to explore, like museums, farms, the Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun casinos, shopping meccas, and restaurants.
For more visitor information, explore our state's official tourism website for places to eat, stay and play in Connecticut, or test your knowledge by taking the quiz to see how much you already know about what to do and see in our state!
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum and Preferred Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
Applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application. Applicants interested in any/all positions assigned to the various shift and work locations mentioned above MUST apply to this posting. You must also specify all locations that you are interested in on your application in order to be considered for those locations. Ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps system. Applicants who submit and subsequently withdraw their application will not be able to resubmit for the same posting.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to answer additional questions and/or submit additional documentation which supports their qualifications for this position. These documents may include: cover letters, proof of licensure, performance appraisals, employment/supervisor references, etc.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The candidate pool resulting from this posting may be used to fill Summer Worker - Tourist Information Clerk vacancies that occur at the Department of Economic and Community Development within the next three (3) months. You will not be able to apply after the closing date of this recruitment until the recruitment pool has been exhausted and a new recruitment is posted. Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your Jobaps portal account.
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Lorraine Vittner at Lorraine.firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (860) 713-5449. Reference Tourist Information Clerk.
In various agencies as a summer employee performs one or more tasks and assigned duties of a seasonal nature in providing a variety of services to clients or the public in one of several areas. This class may also be used during the winter college intersession for a period not to exceed six weeks.
Work areas covered by this class shall include the assignments and hourly rates as listed below:
|Patient Care Services||$10.10||$11.00|
|Transportation Services (Bus Driver)||$10.10||$12.00|
|Tourist Information Clerk||$10.10||$12.00|
|Specialized Recreational Services||$10.10||$14.00|
|Tourist Information Coordinator||$10.50||$14.00|
|Information Technology System Analysis||$10.50||$14.00|
Minimum and maximum hourly rates will be subject to the following criteria:
1. Returning Summer Workers may receive $.50 an hour additional compensation for each season of service up to the maximum hourly rate.
As a Tourist Information Clerk, you will:
• Promote the State of Connecticut as a vacation destination to in-coming visitors.
• Serve as a Connecticut Ambassador and tourism spokesperson to first time visitors.
• Greet walk-in visitors and provides travel information, itineraries, and directions as requested.
• Conduct customer service outreach to incoming visitors.
• Comply with program policies and procedures.
• Perform daily duties with limited supervision.
• Attend ongoing hospitality training workshops throughout the summer.
• Offer suggested travel itineraries to incoming visitors.
• Compile daily and weekly volume of visitor statistics and traveling trends.
• Oversee weekly and monthly brochure inventory and input data into a computer-based database.
• Order promotional literature as needed in order to maintain adequate supply.
• Contact industry members for additional copies of their promotional literature.
• Sort incoming literature and organize it in a user-friendly system for visitors to inquire.
• Answer telephone calls to the center regarding travel information and emergency road conditions.
• Respond to incoming tourism mail and telephone inquiries.
• Facilitate customer complaints regarding facility conditions and/or services.
• Perform other related duties as required.
Preference will be given to those with Knowledge of software such as InDesign, Power Point, Digital Asset Management, social media, etc.
• Customer service skills;
• Ability to communicate with the public;
• Ability to follow written and oral instructions; and,
• Ability to work with limited supervision.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.