Located in Winsted, CT, Northwestern Connecticut Community College is a constituent unit of the the Board of Regents for Higher Education (BOR), Connecticut State Colleges and Universities (CSCU). As one of the State of Connecticut institutions of higher learning, we are dedicated to creating meaningful relationships and providing high quality, affordable, and accessible educational experiences with our diverse population of students.
We are recruiting for a full time General Trades Worker to work Monday through Friday, 6:30AM to 2:30PM (1st Shift), 37.5 hours per week. This positon requires an indivdual who is highly skilled in the trades of HVAC, plumbing, electrical, painting and masonry; knowledge of HVAC computer controls; knowledge to operate and maintain landscape equipment, including mowers, skid steer and leaf blowers; other highly skilled work performed includes operating snow removal equipment. This position will supervise skilled maintainer, lead custodian, custodians, and student workers when the Building Superintendent is absent.
Applicants invited to interview may be required to submit additional documentation, which supports their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
Should you have questions pertaining to any phase of this recruitment, please contact the hiring agency's human resources office: Wendy Bovia, firstname.lastname@example.org, (860) 738-6325.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
This class is accountable for performing highly skilled trades duties in various trade areas.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs highly skilled maintenance and/or construction work requiring the application of trade skills, codes, and standard trade practices in a variety of trade areas including but not limited to: electrical, plumbing, carpentry, HVACR, glazing, masonry, painting work, etc; makes estimates of time, personnel, and material required on assigned tasks; keeps necessary records; in smaller trade areas, may be the sole worker running a skilled trade area; performs duties related to the trade or trade areas as required; at State owned airports may be required to stand by for and respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations; may operate and maintain heavy earth moving equipment; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply the standard tools, materials, methods, and practices of a variety of trade areas; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare estimates and keep shop records; some ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Four (4) years of experience in one or more trade areas.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been performing skilled trade functions in one or more trade areas.
Note: For State Employees this is interpreted at or above the level of Skilled Maintainer or Transportation Maintainer 2. Housekeeping, custodial, and food services duties will not be considered as qualifying experience.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of subject requirements in a maintenance trade area may be substituted for two (2) years of the General Experience.
2. Two (2) years of experience as a Qualified Craft Worker Intern may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- Considerable knowledge and skills with HVAC & snow removal equipment, electrical systems, plumbing, fixtures, carpentry, masonry, and painting work
- Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply the standard tools, materials, methods, and practicies of a variety of trades areas
- Ability to operate skid steer and 4-wheel drive tractor is required
- Ability to troubleshoot, repair, or replace parts and equipment
- Ability to maintain grounds and perform any major or general maintenance needed
- Prepare and maintain weekly and monthly reports
- Ability to utilize computer software
- Must have supervisory experience
Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility, and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to extreme weather conditions and to risk of injury from equipment.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.