The State of Connecticut, Department of Children and Families (DCF), is recruiting for ANTICIPATED Social Worker Trainee vacancies that may be filled at the discretion of the agency. Work locations will be in offices located in the following regions:
Region 1: Bridgeport and Norwalk
Region 2: Milford and New Haven
Region 3: Middletown, Norwich and Willimantic (Willimantic is a part of Windham County)
Region 4: Hartford and Manchester
Region 5: Danbury, Torrington and Waterbury
Region 6: New Britain and Meriden
Applicants selected for hire should expect to be assigned to one of the above listed regions.
Check out our latest YouTube video to see what it is like to be a State employee:
The certification list generated with this recruitment/posting will be utilized for hiring occurring within September 1, 2019– January 31, 2020.
If you anticipate completing a qualifying degree by December 2019 you are encouraged to apply. Candidates will not be appointed until degree is conferred.
All applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application with their submission. Applicants invited to interview will be required to submit at the time of interview:
• Unofficial transcripts for degrees listed on application.
• Typed list of three supervisory references.
• Updated resume (if applicable).
Applicants must thoroughly complete the application in order to be considered for these vacancies. Should you have questions pertaining to any phase of this recruitment, please contact the hiring agency's human resources office: Frances Leon, email@example.com, (860) 550-6484. Due the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status updates during the recruitment process. Please note that not all applicants will be contacted for interview and are encouraged to apply for future postings
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency or institution this class is accountable for receiving intensive training in the provision of social case work services to individuals and families.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Receives training in agency social work procedures, personnel policies, program guidelines and legal reporting requirements; receives training in and is given progressively complex assignments involving utilization of interviewing techniques required to assess client needs, elicit information and establish community referral sources; provides basic counseling services to a limited number of clients enrolled in departmental programs, inmates or patients in residence or families of clients receiving services; prepares initial treatment plans, psychosocial evaluation, case histories and other case records as components of a small assigned caseload; refers clients, patients and family members for community or social services, medical or psychological services or housing, financial and employment assistance; motivates clients to increase ability to understand and cope with problems, frustration and anxiety; performs a greater number of specific and complex social work duties and maintains a larger caseload as skills are acquired during training program; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of reciprocal relationship between individuals and their social, economic and cultural environment; basic knowledge of human social behavior; considerable interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to relate to different cultural and economic backgrounds; ability to organize time, set priorities and manage workload.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor's or Master's degree in social work or a closely related field OR a Bachelor's degree and one (1) year of professional experience in self-directed use of case management techniques and counseling to sustain or restore client functioning.
1. Closely related fields are: applied sociology, child development, child welfare, clinical psychology, counseling, human development and family studies, human service, marriage and family therapy, nursing, social and/or human services, education and criminal justice.
2. DEPARTMENT OF CHILDREN AND FAMILIES: A degree in a closely related field is required.
Preference will be given to candidates who possess a Master or Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work. Additional preference may be given to candidates who have demonstrated foreign language skills in reading, writing and speaking.
1. Candidates cannot be appointed until all degree requirements are completed. 2. DEPARTMENT OF CHILDREN AND FAMILIES: Incumbents in this class are required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's License. 3. OTHER AGENCIES: Incumbents may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's License 4. COMMISSION ON THE DEAF AND HEARING IMPAIRED: Incumbents in this class must be able to communicate fluently in American Sign Language. 5. Incumbents in this class may be required to speak a foreign language. 6. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.