The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) invites applications for the position of Transportation Maintainer 3. This position has a target class of Qualified Craft Worker (Automotive and Mechanical Equipment) TC 18, and is a 37.5 hour position located at the Winchester Repair Facility. The work hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
The purpose of this Transportation Maintainer 3 position is to repair and maintain the Department of Transportation's diverse fleet of highway maintenance equipment; performing a variety of task skills directly focused on the truck and equipment diagnostics, repair and maintenance, to include class 1 through 8 vehicles and heavy construction equipment; to operate and maintain more complex mechanical equipment, work as a skilled mechanic and have experience working with automotive repair software including diagnostic and repair information; understanding of electrical and hydraulic systems and experience in welding and fabrication. Candidates must have automotive/diesel repair knowledge and work experience; refer to the "Preferred Qualifications" listed below.
Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed; mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30. Incumbents in this class will be required to have a 30-mile residency from the job location.
In order to be eligible to apply and be considered for this job opening, candidates must have a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B with Tank Endorsement, possess a valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC), and meet the Minimum and Preferred Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Applicants invited to interview will be required to produce a copy of their current valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B, reflecting the "tank endorsement," and valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC) at time of interview, or they will be immediately disqualified; as well as a thoroughly completed Connecticut Department of Transportation Commercial Driver Supplement (CTDOT-CDL-1).
The candidate pool resulting from this posting may be used to fill Transportation Maintainer 3 vacancies that occur at the Winchester Repair Facility in the next twelve (12) months. Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Jacqueline.Ciampi@ct.gov and reference position #30982.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for performing a variety of skilled tasks at less than the journeyman level in the construction, maintenance and repair of state roadsides, roadways, bridges, airports and other departmental facilities; operates and maintains the more complex mechanical equipment; works as a skilled mechanic at less than the journeyman level in the repair of mechanical equipment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
The following is a listing of examples of trucks, equipment, tasks or related duties, the operating, maintaining or performing of which are considered to be the responsibilities and duties of positions in this class:
- Elevation platform
- Line marking machine (10 wheel, barrel type)
- Concrete saws
- Core drills
- 12-22 foot flail mower (tractor)
- Four wheel drive airport snow fighter
- Front end loaders
- Hand operated pavement marking machine
- Mechanical catch basin cleaning
- Power Driven Rollers
- Power pickup sweepers
- Shotcrete, gunite machines
- Tilt Bed Trailers
- Post Pounder (driver only)
- Vactor (driver only)
- Track-mounted skid steer with various attachments including but not limited to: standard bucket, grapple bucket, mower, snow blower, sweeper, dozer blade
- Drainage pipe setting
- Driver of wing truck with plows attached during snow and ice truck operations
- Performing skilled tasks in one or more of the following areas or trades: construction, maintenance, mechanical repair, electrical, carpentry, masonry, welding, automotive and heavy equipment mechanical repair, plumbing and painting.
- Test boring
- Skilled tree climber
- Inspector of VIP projects
- District Office Radio Operator (backup)
- Service patrol
- Sign erector (general)
- Pothole patcher operator
- May supervise a Materials Management Stockroom
- In addition to other duties, may assist a Transportation Maintenance Manager in preparing and checking reports
- Wildlife hazard control - Radio monitoring and communication - Escort vendors, contractors, etc. in secure areas (State owned airports only)
In addition to other duties incumbents in this class may be required to receive training in, stand by for and respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations at State-owned airports; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of construction, maintenance and repair techniques of roadsides, roadways, bridges or airports; knowledge of processes and materials used in construction and maintenance trades; oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to use and make ordinary repairs to more complex mechanical equipment; ability to operate equipment as listed on attached Addendum; ability to keep shop records and prepare reports; ability to use, set up and maintain ordinary bench and other shop machine tools and equipment; ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in the construction, maintenance and repair of roadsides, roadways, bridges or airports, in work involving the operation and care of mechanical equipment, or in work in one of the recognized maintenance trades.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of the subject requirements in one of the maintenance trades may be substituted for the General Experience.
• Diesel Repair experience
• Preferred experience performing B-Tech level repairs
• Experience in Automotive, light truck repair/diagnostic’s relating to various makes and models, heavy truck repair, construction equipment maintenance and repairs, small engine repairs
• Experience working with; automotive repair software, including diagnostic and repair information research and an understanding of vehicle electric system diagnosis
• Experience in the areas of repair welding and fabrication
• Experience in basic hydraulic system diagnose and repairs
• Experience with basic computer programs and record keeping
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbent in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform theduties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.