The State of Connecticut, Department of Social Services (DSS), is recruiting for an Eligibility Services Supervisor for the New Haven Field office. This position is full-time, 40 hours per week. Hours are Monday - Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee of the Department of Social Services, who has permanent state status*, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
If selected to interview, please bring in the last two years of attendance records (2/2017 - 2/2019) and last two performance appraisals at the time of interview.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Audrey Lewis at Audrey.Lewis@ct.gov, (203) 974-8412.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Social Services and the Department of Children and Families, this class is accountable for supervising a unit engaged in providing eligibility and/or other services to clients of the department's various assistance programs.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
TFA Supervisor schedules, assigns, oversees and reviews work of TFA staff, provides training and assistance including identifying, planning and implementing training; conducts performance evaluations; determines priorities and plans unit work acts as liaison with other operating units, agencies and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; prepares reports and correspondence; consults with and directs staff in difficult, unusual and/or complex case resolution; implements personnel policies; ability to interpret and apply relevant agency policies and procedures; considerable knowledge and ability to interpret and apply relevant state & federal laws statutes & regulations; considerable knowledge of available community support and social service resources; considerable knowledge of common individual and/or family financial practices and investments; considerable knowledge of ImpaCT; knowledge of counseling and interviewing techniques; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; problem solving skills; training ability; ability to prepare reports.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply relevant agency policies and procedures; considerable knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable knowledge of available community support and social services resources; considerable knowledge of Eligibility Management System; knowledge of personnel policies; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years of experience in the determination of client eligibility for public assistance.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been acting as a working supervisor or a policy specialist in the provision of eligibility services to clients.
Note: For State employees, this is interpreted at the level of Eligibility Services Specialist.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in a closely related area may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Thorough understanding of DSS programs and services.
- Considerable knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply relevant agency policies and procedures, state and federal laws, statutes and regulations for processing cases.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively supervise assigned staff.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Considerable interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to build strong working relationships with managers, coworkers, and assigned staff.
- Demonstrated ability to understand, evaluate and solve problems by excising excellent judgment and reasoning.
- Demonstrated reliability and excellent time management skills.
- Excellent verbal, written and phone communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and de-escalate potentially difficult situations with diplomacy and tact.
- Able to work independently and handle assignments effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to serve as a mentor/trainer to staff, providing technical and procedural support to case processing staff.
- Thorough understanding of cultural competence and diversity.
- Familiarity with the delivery of agency programs and client service through use of the Impact Eligibility System.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.